Chapter 13

Chapter 13

To say that last night was heart-breaking and tough, not only to the men in my life but also for me as I had to be emotionally supportive to all three men, in different capacities, would be an understatement. The entire household was left rattled after the departure of my mother-in-law, whom I'm still contemplating on whether I should continue referring to her as so or if I should refer to her as 'ma' as I can't refer to her by name; we all know how disrespectful that would be. I'm still appalled by her decision of choosing her husband's brother over her children. Like how could she do that to this man after he's done so much for her, protecting her and standing by her even after she's humiliated him not once, but twice. uTata should consider divorcing her now that she's risen from the dead. (Dad) I'm still lying in bed, watching Siya as he lays beside me looking as handsome as ever. Though he seems peaceful as he lays beside me, I can tell by the furrowed lines in between his brows that he's still unsettled by the events that occurred last night. He tried reassuring me last night that he was okay after I'd asked him how he's doing but judging from how he tossed and turned throughout the night, I doubt that he got any sleep hence I'm going to leave him to sleep in. I slowly and quietly drag my body out of the bed and head to the bathroom to take a shower so I can get ready for the day, though I know this man will kill me if he finds me standing under that faucet but what choice do I have? I need to be quick, and a bath would honestly delay me. My father-in-law and Jongi are still here, meaning I have to be the dutiful makoti and prepare breakfast for them. (Daughter-in-law) I take a quick shower before going through the rest of my hygiene routine. I get dressed in a beige three quarter sleeve dress that sits mid-calf and wrap my head in a doek and complete the look by wearing a pair of white tommies. (Headscarf) I gather both my phone and apron before walking out of the bedroom and head to the kitchen. The weather seems to be a bit cloudy and chilly today, so I decide to make oats which will be accompanied by an English breakfast.

I'm busy preparing the ingredients for the English breakfast while the oats slowly cooks on the stove when Jongi walks into the kitchen, wiping sleep away from his eyes while dragging his feet against the floor. I honestly don't feel comfortable being in the same space as him, alone. Why couldn't he come with his father or better yet, stay in his room until Siya or I call him for breakfast? Okay, maybe I'm being a little dramatic, but I'd do just about anything to keep him and his weird energy away from me. Don't get me wrong, I may have been pleased with him for asking all the relevant questions yesterday, but that doesn't take away from how uncomfortable his presence is. Something about him, which could merely just be his intimidating aura, makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand, leaving my body covered in a sea of goosebumps and no, not in a good way. "Molo sisi," he greets before grabbing a chair to sit. (Good morning, sister) I look at him and wonder what kind of a night he and utata had, "Morning bhuti. Ulele njani kodwa?" I thoughtlessly ask and cringe immediately as soon as the words slip out of my mouth. (Dad... Brother. How did you sleep) How stupid of me, I inwardly scold myself. Obviously, he didn't sleep well, I mean none of us could've possibly slept well after hearing all that yesterday. "Ndizamile noko," he responds while staring at me rather intensely. (I tried) The ghost smile that is currently plastered on his face makes me want to punch him in the throat. I mean, who's he smiling at? Annoyed at how much he continues to try and get a reaction from me, I simply hum a response and carry on busying myself with what he found me doing. "So, you won't even offer me a cup of coffee?" he asks in a some-what of a demanding tone. "Oh, I didn't know you wanted one, my apologies. I'll make one for you right away," I respond, clearly not willing to engage him any further in his quest to rattle me. I didn't offer him a cup of coffee because I thought he may still be hungover from yesterday's drinking session, so I assumed he'd just wait for breakfast as coffee is not an ideal beverage for curing a hangover, but I guess I was wrong. I prepare his cup of coffee and serve him using a tray. I don't want him questioning me in terms of how I show respect to him or even my husband. He gets up from the chair and takes the cup from the tray, thanking me and walks out of the kitchen. So, he just came in here to order me into making him a cup of coffee? Wow! Well at least now I know that he doesn't take his coffee with milk or with sugar; just straight up black; disgusting if you ask me. I heave a sigh of relief as soon as his figure retreats out of my sight leaving me to carry on with what I was doing in peace.