Chapter 10

Chapter 10

I know nothing happened between us, though he managed to embroider himself on my memory for days until I met his brother. As I look at him now, I have no feelings like I did the time I bumped into him, but did he have to be my brother-in-law? Shit! I watch him as he looks at me as though trying to recall where he knows me from, and I internally scream "Stop". Siya drags me further into the lounge, mind you I'm not in a skirt nor do I have a doek over my head. (Headscarf) This man is truly trying to get my father in-love to hate me. "Tata," this man beside me greets the old man before us. (Dad) His dad stands up to shake his hand. Oh, they are that type of family. Respect is a big thing. "Nyana," his father greets in response. (Son) After shaking his hand, the old man looks at me with softened eyes, "Makoti." (Daughter-in-law) I smile broadly as I look at him. He reminds me so much of my father, firm yet so loving. I extend my hand for a handshake but I'm pleasantly surprised when he draws me in for a hug instead. "Tata," I say to him with my head laid on his chest. (Dad) Siya being the man that he is, pulls me away from his father before saying, "That's enough now old man. She's mine." His father chuckles before lowering himself on the couch to sit. "Kudala ndiyazi ukuba ungumntu onesikhwele kwedini," the old man teases. (I've known for a long time that you're a jealous person) Siya ignores his father's banter and simply drags me towards the chest/his brother's couch, who's also on his feet now. "Bhabha, nguJongikhaya lo, my older brother. Khaya, lo ngu bhabha wam, uMaDlamini," he says with a proud smile on his face. (Baby, this is... This is my baby) His brother on the other hand, is looking at me, analysing me, again, trying to recall where he knows me from. I don't even understand why he's still stuck on that; can't he just move on from that? I mean, it was just a simple encounter, it's not like we had sex or anything like that. Thank God for that. I stretch my arm, extending my hand to greet him, "Bhuti." (Brother) He snaps out of his funk and latches on to my hand, "Sisi," in a voice that sounds a tad deeper than normal. (Sister) He continues to shake my hand, not letting go and honestly this is becoming rather awkward now. We have bigger fish to fry which does not include this weird interaction that's currently going on right now. "Ungamyeka ngoku," Siya says, breaking his brother's grip on my hand. (You can leave her now) Jesus! Jongi, that's what I'll call him, reluctantly releases my hand before lowering himself back on the couch. "Uhm, please excuse me. I'll come back and serve you with some refreshments and food," I say to the men who look exactly the same. Siya nods his head in acknowledgement and attempts to plant a kiss on my cheek which I dodge because WTF? We're not about to do that in front of his father.

I rush out of the lounge and head to our bedroom in search of a dress and a doek. (Headscarf) I find an olive dress that still fits me, luckily and a satin scarf that I long forgot I had. I change into the dress and wrap my head with the scarf and head out to the kitchen. I take a clean dishcloth and hang it over my shoulder while I prepare a basin that's filled with soapy warm water. I take the basin to the lounge for the men to wash their hands before I serve them with any form of food. Siya has this shocked but super pleased look on his face as I walk in carrying the basin. He attempts to get up to help me carry the basin, but I shake my head 'no' as I'm perfectly fine. He mustn't make me look weak to these men. He reluctantly lowers himself back into the couch and watches me move from his father to his brother, who has his eyes trained on me, making me feel rather uncomfortable and anxious. He really needs to snap out of it. I move to Siya whose eyes are on me from the moment I leave his brother till I reach him. "Are you okay?" he whispers to me while washing his hands, slower than anyone else. He has no idea how much my back is killing me at this very moment from all this hunching that I'm doing. "Yes," I whisper back. He looks at me doubtfully before humming a 'mm' while wiping his hands, allowing me to walk back to the kitchen. I dispose of the water in the sink and start plating the food that this man bought. He's literally bought a feast for an entire village, tripe, ox tongue, rosemary & garlic lamb roast, herbed garlic butter rotisserie chicken with savoury rice, steamed bread, and various vegetables as sides. I hope these men will finish this food because I'm NOT about to throw away food kukho abantwana abalambayo eZimbabwe. (There're starving children in Zimbabwe) I dish up everything into serving bowls and text Siya, yes, I text him, to come and assist me in carrying everything to the dining room. I'm not about to walk back into the room and ask him to come and help me because that would just be embarrassing. I wait for a few minutes before he walks in smiling, "You texted my lady?" Idiot. I hand him two bowls and start walking with the ones that I'm able to carry. I place the bowls in the middle of the dining table and walk to the lounge to call the duo for lunch. I leave the men settling into their seats while I go and fetch the drinks and glasses. I walk in the dining room just in time to catch Siya's dad stealing a piece of meat from one of the bowls. I teasingly give him a scowl which leaves the brothers chortling. "Uxolo molokazana wam. Andikwazanga ukuzinceda," he confesses. (I'm sorry, my daughter-in-law. I couldn't help myself) This old man. I place the glasses and cooldrink on the table and settle on a chair next to my man before saying grace and digging in.