Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Today is Friday, the day that I've been dreading. Today, we're laying my brother to rest. The family decided to have his burial today since Siya's uncle is being buried tomorrow and because we are now deemed as 'one family', we can't have two funerals in one day. So here we are. I did not sleep a wink last night. As much as I've been struggling to come to terms with our loss throughout the week, today is just different. It's like the penny has dropped and my inevitable reality has settled in undoubtedly. My mom refused to have a night vigil for my brother, which I'm grateful for because that would have just worn me out even further. It's just after five in the morning and the yard is already buzzing with people whom I presume have either come to attend the funeral or assist with the cooking of the food. My mom wanted the best send off for her son, so she bought a healthy bull for his funeral that she coupled with over eight sheep. Uba inyama engaka izotyiwa ngubani, nam andiyazi. (Who will eat that much meat, I also don't know) I'm currently in bed cuddled with Siwe and Thandi. Yet again, we decided to sleep together last night as none of us wanted to be alone. I know we need to wake up because mom urged us to be on time, that being seven o'clock as the hearse is scheduled to arrive with his body that time. Thandi stirs beside me. She pry's her eyes open and the moment our eyes meet, we instantaneously grab each other and wrap our arms around each other and weep, silently. My bedroom door creaks open and faint footsteps make their way inside, but we don't pull away from each other. I feel the bed dip before more arms wrap themselves around us. We stay like that for a while, wallowing in our grief before slowly peeling away from each other. I look around to see who walked in and find that it's my mom and aunt Ntombi. My mom's eyes have dark circles underneath them and are bloodshot red, a clear indication that she either didn't sleep a wink last night, like me or that she cried all night long. She looks so frail and enervated. Thandi and aunt Ntombi are beside us, sniffing with tears in their eyes while mom and I's eyes are trained on each other. Since the passing of my father, I've always vowed to be my mother's strength and her being here in my room this early is an indication that she's here to draw strength from me and needs me to be strong for the rest of my siblings. I take her hand into mine and lightly squeeze it so as to reaffirm her that I'm here, for her and my siblings.

My aunt, who's seemingly managed to get herself together finally breaks the silence, "Okay ke masana, makuvukwe. Abantu sebeqalisile ufika." (Babies, let's wake up. People have started to arrive) Firstly, what are people doing in people's houses ngo five ekuseni? (In the morning) I know they mean well and are here to empathise with us, but really? Ngo five? (At) Did they even have breakfast emakwabo? (At their houses) Okanye baqonde bazazoko sulela intongo zabo apha ekhaya? (Or they told themselves that they're going to wipe their sleep crust here at home) Anyway, let me not be mean, I'm just a grieving sister who's very bitter at the moment. My aunt stands up and helps my mom stand as well before she says, "Wonke umntu kufuneka abese lounge by quarter to seven so zenikhawulezise ke maqobokazana." (Everyone has to be in the lounge... hurry up, ladies) The duo makes their way out of my bedroom leaving us to get ready. We both get up from the bed, leaving Siwe to sleep, and get ready for the day. We make our way out of my bedroom and head to the kitchen for breakfast. Just as I'm racking my brain on what I'm going to eat, Anga ambles into the kitchen with a lunch cooler bag and hands it over to me. I look at him with a corked brow, "And then?" I ask him. He shrugs and says, "Indoda yakho just dropped that off now." (Your man) I widen my eyes and look at him. "What? He's here?" I ask him in a rather unfamiliar high-pitched voice. My brother looks at me with a 'are you serious right now' bored expression. I'm sure if he was a girl, he would have rolled his eyes. Look, I'm not shocked here's here to support rather, I'm shocked that he's here at this time. I mean, xa elapha ngelixesha uhamba nini kokwabo? (If he's here at this time, when did he leave home) But then again, nguSiyabulela lo sithetha ngaye apha and anything is possible with him. (It's... that we're talking about here) "Yeah, uye wandifowunela pha ngo five ecela isitshixo sendlu yakho, ndamnika so he just came back now wathi ndikunike lonto," he says pointing to the lunch cooler bag in my hand. (He called me around five asking for your house key, and I gave it to him... and said I should give you that) I'm overwhelmed with emotions right. No, this man loves me, guys. His actions are an attestation and constant reminder of his love for me. If I could, I'd marry him again and again and again. Thandi nudges me with her elbow to open the bag. I unzip the cooler and the aroma of bacon, eggs and something sweet wafts towards me. My stomach immediately growls. One thing about this man is that he can cook, vah? (Okay) I set aside the Sir's Mango juice that's inside the bag and opened the lunch box that's packed with a beautiful English breakfast with some pancakes that have been topped with strawberries and syrup on the side. The man even added some cutlery for me. Without wasting any time, I plop myself on the nearest chair to me and dig in. Thandi claps her hand once from behind or next to me, I don't really know nor care before she says, "Awusiphi nosipha Nomzamo. Kuba thina singenamadoda. Yho, uyavimba shame." (You don't even share some with us. Just because we don't have men. Oh, you're stingy)