Chapter 26

Chapter 26

There's something about going away to a place that's not familiar to you that always leaves you feeling refreshed and with a renewed outlook on life. You get to reflect on what has worked well, what needs to be worked on and what you'd like to achieve or accomplish in the near future. You get to dream when you're on vacation. You get to set your mind free from the shackles of pain and suffering. Your perspective just revived and stimulated. This is exactly what Siya and I did during our one week stay at Oceana. Yes, even after raising my concerns about our spending, this man still convinced me to book our stay for an entire week. It was worth every cent though I still feel guilty about splurging so much money on entertainment as opposed to spending it or saving it for my babies. Call it my motherly instincts or maybe, as Anga would call it, my stinginess. The Oceana is a beautiful luxurious boutique wildlife game reserve that's located on a small hill that overlooks the ocean. We stayed in an ocean facing suite that had an impeccable view of both the ocean and the wildlife. What was surprising to me, call it the x-factor, was that our bathroom had a similar view as what you'd see when you're in the bedroom. Basically, we could shower or bath while looking at the ocean. The rural girl in me was more than impressed by this because it resembled the feeling of being at home. The only audible noise came from the crashing waves and the mellifluous melodies produced by the wildlife. As the days progressed, I was glad that this man of mine had convinced us to stay for the week otherwise I would have been gutted. One truly needs to take their time in order to fully appreciate the haven that the reserve offers. Beside lazing around and stuffing our faces with the various cuisines prepared by the chef, we also got up to partake in a couple of activities like game drives, going to the spa, which was my absolute favourite by the way and going on picnics by the beach. I think it's safe to say that Siya and I are now certified picnic lovers. You'd think after all the 'picnicking' that we do eBhayi, we'd shy away from them, but not in the least. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Obviously, at some point the fun had to end and we had to go back to reality, much to my dismay. Siya had to go back to work. If you're a business owner, how risky it is to be away from your business for a long period of time, especially if you have an employee like Qaqamba, who's an opportunist and is always waiting for an opportunity to cause havoc. Luckily for us, the rest of Siya's employees are hardworking individuals whose main priority is providing for their families. Unlike lanondindwa ungu Qaqamba whose main goal in life is to get my husband in between her thighs endaweni yokuba ajongane nomsebenzi wakhe. (That whore... Instead of focusing on her work) Nxa!

Anyway, enough about my rant. It's a couple of days before my welcoming ceremony and Siya has been running around like a headless chicken, sorting things out and buying things that will be needed for the ceremony. I have an inkling of what to expect but because families differ in terms of how they practise their traditions, I'm not entirely sure how everything will go. Siya has tried to share what he knows or has been told, although some aspects he said he can't tell me as that was part of the duty of his aunts and sisters. I have started packing our weekend pack as I don't want to forget anything; my pregnancy brain is getting serious nowadays so I can't allow it to embarrass me kulo Siya. (At Siya's home) I know I probably won't wear any of these items as I'll be dressed in a completely different attire after I'm introduced. There's no harm in packing emergency back-up clothes, right? Right!

Today is Thursday, and I am anxiously waiting for Siwe to arrive as she'll be accompanying me kulo Siya for my welcoming ceremony. (To Siya's home) Thandi is the one who's supposed to be accompanying me but unfortunately, she can't make it. For this particular ceremony, my family won't be present unlike if we were doing our traditional wedding. For this ceremony, it'll only be Siya's family and Siwe from my side of the family. Though I've met his father and most of his siblings, I'm still very nervous about meeting the rest of his family. We all know how African families are; they can be ruthless. I pray to God that they don't clothe me with the same cloth as my mother-in-law and assume that I'm also an adulteress. Some families are very protective over their loved ones and once one of their own is hurt by an outsider, they become very guarded. Siya arrives just as I'm packing the last bit of clothing into our travel bag. I've missed him. He wraps his arm around my waist before planting a soft kiss on my temple. "Sthandwa sentliziyo yam," he softly whispers against my ear. (Love of my life) I place my hand and rest my head on his shoulder, "Myen'wam," I greet, smiling at him. (My husband) He beams at me. Siya loves it when I claim him. Such a big baby! "Unjani mkam'am?" he says brushing his hand on my belly. (How are you, my wife) I release an exasperated sigh before responding. "I'm exhausted," I confess. He shifts and stands behind me and wraps both his arms below my stomach. He takes both his hands and cups my stomach and I moan gloriously at the feeling of relief. "This feels so good," I whisper. With my back against his torso and my head resting on his chest, he sways us side to side. "We're almost there, my love." As he says this, a lump forms in my throat, and tears gather in my eyes. I sniff. "What's wrong sthandwa sam?" he softly asks in a voice laced with concern.  (My love) I hold back the tears. This week has been one emotional week for me.