Chapter 27

Chapter 27

The trip was shorter than what I had anticipated or maybe this is because Lu had managed to keep us entertained until we reached our destination. At first it was weird having people with us in the car as it's always just the two of us but as the trip progressed, I began to not only enjoy but also appreciate their presence. I think if it was just Siya, Siwe and I in the car, the trip would have been longer and more daunting. At least with Lu and Themba as our additional passengers, we were able to shift our minds from what laid ahead. We reached Lady Frere just before sunset, so we were able to get a glimpse of Siya's village and home. His home is situated at the foot of the mountain, secluded from most of their neighbours. It reminds me so much of home. The yard is so massive that one would mistake it for a small holding farm. Like typical old school village homes, each member of the family has their own house and in Siya's family's case, there are four houses, although the fourth house is a bit dilapidated. Getting to his home is a bit of a mission as the road is unkept and it runs through their grazing and farming lands so you can imagine how uneven and rocky it is. At some point we had to climb off the car to reduce the weight to avoid scraping the car on the rocks. I know he was a bachelor and all, hence the car choice, but I still don't understand why he'd purchase a low-profile hatch back when he knows indlela zakokwabo zimbi kanje. (That the roads back home are uneven) Then again, I know nothing about paying for car instalments, so let me just shut up. Anyway, Siya cautiously drives into his home, and we can see people moving up and down the yard even though it's a bit late in the afternoon. He parks the car in front of the biggest house in the yard, which I now assume to be the main house. He kills the engine and sweeps his eyes across the yard. "Hayi ke, sifikile," he announces. (Well then, we've arrived) I inhale deeply as everyone starts unbuckling their seatbelts climbing out of the car, but I stay rooted on my seat. Uvalo luyandinyisa. (Anxiety is killing me) When Siya notices that I'm not moving, he turns to face me, "Bhabha? Uright?" he asks, concerned. (Baby, are you okay) I shake my head 'no'. "Ndiyoyika," I confess. (I'm scared) Our passengers exit the car, giving us privacy. Siya slides back into his seat before closing the door behind him. He turns his body towards me and clasps both my hands into his, staring at me, "Breathe, sthandwa sam, breathe." (My love) I try to inhale but it feels like someone is sitting on my chest. Tears well in my eyes as I start to panic. He releases one of his hands and gently soothes my chest, "There we go. Everything's going to go smoothly, I promise." I nod my head, while trying to calm my nerves. We sit like that for a while until we're disturbed by a knock on the window.

"Mfo, aniphumi kanti emotweni?" a familiar voice asks. (Man, are you guys not coming out of the car)

"Siyeza. Give us a minute," Siya responds. (We're coming)

"Sho. uMakhulu uthi umakoti kufuneka angene endleni engaka bonwa ngabanye abantu." (Grandma says your wife needs to come inside the house before people see her)

"Siyeza Khaya," his brother responds in a flat tone. (We're coming) Nazo ke. (Here we go)

"They already want to take you away from me," he complains. I giggle.

"They could never! Kaloku mna ndingowakho, akekho omnye umntu," I say, perking his lips. (I belong to you, no one else)

"Yey! Yey! Yey! Nenza ntoni?" (What're you doing) That'd be Lulu. We laugh.

"Voetsek Lulama!" Her brother sneers at her. (Go away) "She's such a cockblocker," he whines.

"Hayi, umntana," I say, defending her. (No, the child) He scoffs.

"uLulu? Umntana? Oh, please. Uyintomb'endala enezinza." I burst out laughing. (A child? She's a grown girl with pubic hair)

"Baby, you can't say that about your sister," I say, smacking his shoulder.