Chapter 29

Chapter 29

I can feel myself being airlifted but my body is too weak for me to fight whoever is touching me. Can hear someone screaming, I would say the voice belongs to Siya but I can't be too sure as my hearing is a bit distorted. I'm praying that it's his voice that I'm hearing because if it's not, I'm a dead woman. Someone starts tapping the side of my face in an attempt to wake me up, but everything seems futile. Commotion erupts and I feel like I'm being airlifted once again. "Stay with me, Zamo. Stay with me," somebody's voice faintly registers in my mind though I still can't make out who it is. I doubt that witch would want me to 'hang on'; her sole mission in life is to kill me. A tingling sensation moves through my body and my heart starts beating abnormally at a rapid rate. "She's having a seizure! She's having a seizure!" someone screams as my body starts to jerk uncontrollably. Could this be my death? Lord, please be with me. Something pricks my skin, seizing all my movement instantaneously and I pass out.

The beeping sound of machines wakes me up from my slumber. It looks like a hospital room. I sweep my eyes across the room and judging from the dimmed lights and closed curtain I can tell that it's already nighttime. "Mm," I groan as pins and needles shoot up from my abdominal. I try to switch sides and lay in a different position, but my left side is numb and paralyzed. It feels like something is lying on it. I groan. "Bhabha," Siya whispers behind me. (Baby) He's here. Oh, my God he's here. I burst into tears and sob uncontrollably. His arm wraps around my waist. Wait! Why is my stomach flat? "Siya, why's my stomach flat?" I semi-shout in between my tears. I can feel his heart thudding aggressively against my back. "Baby," he whispers in a brittle voice. No! I shake my head side to side. "No!" I cry, thrashing the bed. He continues to hold me tight until I feel the crevice of my neck dampen. "My babies, Siyabulela. Not my babies," I sob even louder. He too breaks into a gut-wrenching son, tightening his grip around my waist. Though his grip is hurting me, nothing can come close to the pain in my heart right now. It feels like my heart has just been ripped out of my chest. I gasp for air as I struggle to breathe. He jumps from behind me with tears still trickling down his face and frantically starts pressing on the nurse call button. "Don't do this to me, sthandwa sam," he begs while hovering over me with panic written all over his face. (My love) "Breathe Nomzamo! Breathe," he half-shouts. If only he knew how hard I'm trying. "Don't you dare give up on me damnit! BREATH!" He bellows, shaking me. The door bursts open and a doctor fly's in to attend to me, "Step aside, sir," he says, shoving Siya out of his way. "You can't tell me that! That's my wife!" he argues fighting his way through. Two male nurses enter my room and escort him out of the room, kicking and screaming, with tears in his eyes. "Nomzamo! Nomzamo!" he shouts while being dragged.

It's in the early hours of the morning judging from the sound of the birds chirping outside. I just woke up from a medically induced nap since I was experiencing yet another panic attack. They seem to be a regular thing of late and that worries me. I'm hoping it's because of the pregnancy. Siya's lying next to me, fast asleep. I have no idea when or how he got here but then again when has anything ever been impossible for this one? I attempt to shift to the edge of the bed as quietly as I possibly can so as to not awaken Siya. "Zamo," he says in a deep husky voice. I turn to look at him with glossy eyes. He pulls me towards him and blankets me in a warm hug. Tears cascade down my cheeks. "MaDlamini," his breaking voice fills my ears. I shake my head 'no' against his chest. All I want is answers. Where are my babies? What did that witch do to me? "I can only talk to you if you promise to keep calm," he says, soothing my back. "Okay," I whisper, wiping my tears with the hem of his t-shirt. He gives me some time to gather myself before he speaks.

"Khunji found you behind the house unconscious. What were you doing there?" His voice is void of any emotion. I release a shaky breath before answering him.