Chapter 5

Chapter 5

The sun today is scorching hot, and everything just seems to irritate me. If anything, I wish I was at home, naked and sprawled on top of my bed. There's nothing more uncomfortable than the heat when you're pregnant because everything is ten times worse. I'm currently in the queue at Home Affairs with Themba, who offered to keep me company while we dust these chairs with our bums. One thing about the public service of South Africa is that there could be ten workstations but only two will be open. (Of) Not that there aren't any customer service consultants who can assist bakhona but they're all either 'on lunch' or 'the system is offline'. Bad service delivery is something we've all become accustomed to. We've been here since half past ten and we've only just managed to shift a few seats. Mom, Siwe and aunt Ntombi are at the doctors while we're here. If they finish first, Themba will have to go and fetch them and bring them here while I queue to get the death certificate issued. "Uright sisters?" Themba asks beside me. (Are you okay sister) Shame, the poor man looks so worried about my current state. I've been wiping sweat from my face since we got here. As a result, my dress is drenched in sweat like I've been showered with water. I've been trying to cool myself by waving a piece of paper that I found in my bag to cool myself but alas. I smile at him, appreciating his level of concern, "Ndiright bhuti qha ndiyatsha," I say to him, fanning myself even frivolously. (I'm okay brother, I'm just hot) He chuckles beside me and nods his head. Please note, this man has not a single beat of sweat on his face, he looks as cool as a cucumber while I'm suffering because I decided to open my legs for a Xhosa man who seduced me like Eve did Adam. If you'll ever find me spreading my legs for that man again, shoot me! Who am I fooling? I know the minute I get a chance to be with that stallion, I'll be on my back with my legs wide open. "I think I should go and get you some cold water, maybe that will cool you down," he says while getting up. I search my purse for notes that I can give him as I don't want him spending his money on me. "Don't! It's on me," he says while placing his hand on my shoulder, stopping me from my search. "But I -" he shakes his head 'no' and makes his way out of this tiny matchbox called Home Affairs and leaves me without saying anything further. I huff, frustrated. I don't like this. I don't like it at all. I'm sure the man has his own family that he has to take care of back home but here he is, spending his hard-earned money on me and Siya's babies ingathi nguye ondimithisileyo. (Like he's the one who impregnated me)

I'm deep in thought as I wait for Themba to come back with my water when my phone buzzes from somewhere in my purse. I quickly fish for it before the callers drops the call and I see Siya's name flash on the screen. "Sthandwa sam," I answer. (My love) "Mkami, unjani namhlanje?" he asks in his baritone voice that sends tantalising vibrations throughout my entire body. (My wife, how are you today) See what I meant about me busting it open the moment I get a chance? He's not even here but his voice has the ability to give me goosebumps. "Ndiyaphila myen'am akhonto, wena?" my voice comes out as a whisper. (I'm fine my husband, and you) Ndakubetha Nomzamo! (Wow) He releases a low chuckle before he answers me, "Nam ndiyaphila sthandwa sam. I can tell somebody's missing me," he says in a sultry tone. (I'm also fine, my love) I blush, clenching my thighs together. I know this is not the time nor the place for such behaviour, but this pregnancy has my hormones all over the place. "I do, I really do. Uphi?" I ask him while repositioning myself on the chair I'm sitting on. (Where are you) I think the lady next to me can hear my conversation with Siya because she's keeps glancing at me. People need to mind their business yazi! (You know) As I'm about to ask her what her problem is, Siya's voice echoes through my ears, "Ndisandophuma apha epolice station, I'm headed to you now. Nina?" (I just left the police station... And you guys) My heart drops to the pit of my stomach. Police station? Anything that has to do with him and the police station, especially this police station, always leaves me unsettled. The last time he had anything to do with the police was when he tied Detective Xaba and Sergeant Meyiwa to poles after beating them to a pulp. So, excuse me if my stomach drops every time he mentions being in a police station. "Ndise Home Affairs noThemba. We left mom, Siwe and aunt Ntombi at the doctors," I inform him. (I'm at) Themba walks in and hands me the bottle of water before sitting down beside me. I nod my head at him and mouth 'thank you' which he recognises by bopping his head once. "Okay, I'm on my way. I'll see you soon," he says and hangs up. I open the bottle of water and gulp it down, almost finishing it. I didn't realise I was thirsty. "I guess you needed that," Themba says while chuckling beside me. I giggle with a little embarrassment as some of the water drips from the sides of my mouth. I wipe my mouth before speaking, "Khange ndiziqonde ukuba ndinxanwe kangaka," I confess. (I didn't realise I was this thirsty) "Injalo into yenu kaloku nina bosisi, into niyiqonda sonixelela okanye sonibonisa," he teases. (That's how you women are, you guys only realise things after we've told or showed them to you) Oh he's got jokes? "Suqala," I playfully scold. (Don't start) He chuckles and raises both his hands up in surrender, "Ndiyekile." (I've stopped) I smile at him, and we both settle into in comfortable silence while we wait to be serviced.