Part 32

Ryker's POV

We've been setting traps for hunters for weeks and finally got a hit in Alpha Cyrus's Pack. We were on our way when I noticed Ethal being distant. We have always worked together perfectly but something was wrong.

"Beta? Trouble in paradise?", I teased but she did not budge. "Not mine apparently", her answer and attitude made me furrow my brows. "What does that mean?", I asked thanking the goddess, we were in the car alone. "I've been listening to you for ages talking about how you were tired of being alone and how you will spoil your mate once you meet her. You do and you treat her like crap. I can't even look at you right now", she said still looking out the window. 

"I'm not treating her like crap", I said with irritation. She had no idea what happened, how could she assume?  It pissed me off. 'You do... a mate who doesn't treat the other like crap won't assume she will betray her own kind', Brenton said. 'I did no such thing besides she's human, she's not our kind', I said trying to avoid the obvious.

'You're the dumbest person I've ever known... what does mating mean to you?', Renzo said sounding pissed. 'Accepting each other for who we are... Well I've got news for ya pal, she could have rejected your ass but she didn't because she chose you and chose your kind despite what she went through', Spike said with a growl. 'Don't forget the gifts you have, came from her', Brenton said making me speechless. I tried to tap into her emotions and the pain was too much that I had to push back. 

"Ryker, I know we have a job to do but our mates are part of us too. We can't treat our jobs like they're the only things that matter, having a mate needs us to work in balance. Even though they know our work is important they don't appreciate being ignored or looked down upon. Erinna is a fighter no doubt about that but she was able to overcome her fear because of you.

You're her anchor, if you take it away then what happens? Tell me what's to stop her from feeling like a burden to you or worse falling back in her bubble, refusing to trust ever again? Trust me, Ryker, I found out the hard way", she said. I didn't say a word because she was right. Hearing this from Ethal was just something else because she rarely expressed her feelings.

We found Alpha Cyrus waiting for us on his border. He greeted us and led us to the cells. There was a middle-aged man chained to the wall. I walked in and broke them. "Ethal, lock us in", I said and she did as told. "Are you insane?", Alpha Cyrus said looking at me like I grew two heads.

"You should have listened to the dog!", the man said then injected himself with something that came out of nowhere. "Ryker watch out!", Ethal screamed just in time for me to step away from his claws. He had grown an inch taller and his veins and eyes were black. I let him punch me twice just to measure his strength and was about to give him more chances when he scratched me. It felt like something cold touched my skin but the feeling disappeared in a blink and the scratch began to disappear. 

"What the fuck! That's impossible. What are you?", he asked with fear dripping all over him. It made me smirk. 'I don't know about you but I'm loving this vacation', Spike said while relaxing.

I had strength before transforming and it felt amazing. 'I'm with you bro', Renzo chipped in making Brenton smile. I walked towards him until I was towering over him. He peed his pants making me release my aura. He cowered away even more. "So, I need some information and you're going to give it to me", I said and he nod so fast I thought his head was going to fall off.

"What's this?", I asked holding the syringe in front of his face. "It's something that the boss created to help us defeat your kind. When I inject it in myself I get the strength that's twice as yours", he said with a shaky voice. "Why does he want to eliminate us so badly? We didn't do anything to him", Ethal said obviously losing control of her beast.

"Well, they said it's a revenge plot. One of you killed his mother when he was young so they started the association and more people joined in. I heard one saying that something called a mate bond broke his family, it made his mother obsessed with your kind and she abandoned him. Look, that's all I know, I swear. I only joined for the money. They wanted volunteers to test the serum for ten thousand grand and I accepted because I needed it and here I am", he finished.

"Where's the facility?", I asked knowing that with his desperation he will give us anything we wanted. "I can take you if you promise not to kill me", I smiled wickedly. "I promise", I said and his face was suddenly full of hope. 'Kill him the moment he shows us the facility', I mind-linked Ethal who smirked.

Alpha Cyrus took us to his office where I was surprised to see Alpha Chase waiting for us. "What's he doing here?", I asked Cyrus. "He is my son-in-law... I figured we could use all the help we can get", Cyrus said with pride. Then I remembered the union was meant to merge the packs so I was practically in Chase's pack.

"Daddy, what's going... Oh! your Majesty. Welcome, I didn't know you were visiting", Velma said standing too close to me. "Please mind your distance, Luna. Security protocols", Ethal said pushing her aside a little too aggressively. "Oh! Of course. Do you have a place to rest? I can make arrangements for you", she said batting her fake lashes at me. It was a disturbing sight, to be honest.

"We're leaving so no need, but thank you Luna", Ethal said showing her to the door. I don't think she was aware that Ethal was kicking her out until the door was slammed on her face. "Ok gentlemen, time is not on our side and I need to brief the Alpha King in the next hour before we make arrangements for Ryker and the team", she instructed the room making sure to release a Royal Aura just to keep the two Alphas in check.