Part 13(The Past)

"Cleo, you're not making any sense", Chase said but he was panting as if he already knew what she was going to say next. "That mark on your neck tells me otherwise. She is here because of you. You claimed Velma didn't you?", he asked making me gasp.

"Fuck! Erinna... did you... how much did you hear?", Cleo asked looking at me with guilt, the tears in my eyes gave her the answer. "Am sorry Erinna. I didn't want you to find out this way", Chase said looking me in the eyes. I didn't reply, I turned to Cleo who was looking at me with worry. "Will I be going through the pain every time they... they sleep... they sleep together?", I asked with a shaky voice.

"Yes, well it can only end if...", she didn't finish, she turned to look at Chase who was panting. "Cleo don't", he said then a tear fell from his eye. "You led us here, you did this", she said then turned to me and came closer. "You can reject him as your mate", she said looking into my eyes.

"Erinna, you don't have to baby. Am sorry, we can still make this work. I promise you", he said going on his knees. "You promise? As if you have done a good job keeping the ones you already made. Cleo, tell me what to do", I said turning to Cleo. "Just mention your name in full and then say that you reject Chase Donavan as your mate", she said and in seconds she was thrown to the other side of the room falling unconscious.

"You will not reject me, Erinna, you're mine", it was Hunter, his wolf. I thought I would be afraid when I saw black eyes again but being with Chase gave me time to warm up to his werewolf too. He was always nice to me. "Hunter, you have someone else's mark", I said while more tears came down my cheeks. His face softened while his hand went through his mark.

"Am sorry, I don't know what happened. I don't want this, I want you and Chase knows that", he said bowing his head in shame. "Then why did you let him?", I asked and instead of answering me, he looked conflicted. "Tell me the truth Hunter", I demanded raising my voice higher than normal, it caught him by surprise. 

"They don't want you as their Luna", he said with a calmer voice and that was when I knew Hunter couldn't face me so he gave control back to Chase. "Who?", "Arthur and the rest of the pack... Have you not noticed how no one has ever called you Luna?", he asked. Coming to think of it, no one ever did. "I thought it was because you haven't marked me yet", I said in a whisper but I knew it was pointless.

"Cyrus came because Arthur told him that the pack needed a Luna worthy of our pack", he explained walking towards me. They all pretended to like me, it was all a lie, they were mocking me. It hurt to the core, I felt the sparks on my hand, and they brought me back to reality. "You can reject me", he said avoiding my eyes. "What?", I asked hoping that my ears were deceiving me. "I love you Erinna. I love you so much but I also love my pack and I can't walk away from them, these are my people Erinna... Do you understand what is at stake from my end?", he asked looking up to meet my eyes but it was my time to look away.

"I know if the roles were reversed then you would have left everything for me but then again, you are alone... I have my Mum and Cleo to think about. We would be rogues because no one would accept an Alpha who chose himself over his pack to be a member in their territories", he pleaded making me sob even harder. I was so stupid to think that I would get a life in a pack of werewolves. I mean, there are other humans in River Fall but none of them had a tainted past like the one I had. 

"I understand... I Erinna McLean, reject Chase Donavan as my mate", I felt my chest tighten. Chase's eyes met mine and another tear escaped his eye. "I Chase Donavan, accept your rejection", the moment he finished his sentence I felt like my heart was being pulled out of my chest, Chase pulled me in a bear hug as I screamed in pain. I know he was feeling it too with the way he was holding on to me and groaned.

"What's going on?", I heard Cleo ask while out of breath as if she just ran miles. "Oh! I will give you two a minute", she said and yet none of us answered. In time the pain started to disappear. When he pulled back it was dark outside. I wondered how long we had been standing for, all I could focus on was the sadness on Chase's face as well as the pain that I was seeing in his eyes. "Are you ok?", he asked me making me feel even more broken. "I'll be ok, you?", I asked inspecting his face, a face that I thought I would hold forever but sadly that was not going to be the case. 

"Uh! Guys, Am sorry but the Velma is going nuts looking for you and I don't know how long I can cover for you", Cleo said walking into the hospital room. "I don't want to leave you", he whispered making me look into his eyes, I wanted to cry, maybe that way he could know the pain I was feeling but there were no more tears left. "You have to, I will be ok, go", I said pushing him away. He resisted at first until Cleo came closer.

"I will always love you, Erinna. Always", he said right before walking out of the room. "Look, it's not safe for you here anymore, once Chase introduces her as the Luna you will need to leave. Chase and I will help you get settled somewhere and find a job ok?", Cleo said while helping me get dressed but all I could think about was how unfair life was.