6. The search

"You did WHAT!" I shouted, staring at him.
Jake and Neytiri looked horrified whilst Kiri held Tuk for comfort. A pit formed in my stomach looking at the family's concerned faces.
"I can't believe you, I told you to make peace, not start a whole other war." I muttered to him as he broke eye contact with me. Neteyam let go of him, an expression of worry grew on his face.
Aonung didn't say another word, he simply stared at the floor.
"We are going to tell father, right now." I said grabbing his wrist and dragging him to our hut.
I was furious, not just at him but also myself. Realistically I should have known that he would pull a stunt like that, I really did put too much faith in him.

My father, just like me, was furious and incredibly disappointed. Pacing the room, he wondered what the best course of action was.
Momentarily I left the hut, finding Neteyam sitting on the sand, his head in his hands.

Sitting next to him, he acknowledged my presence before looking out to the sea.
"I'm sorry Neteyam." I said softly.
He looked at me for a moment, as though confused, "Why are you sorry, it is not your fault at all."
"I know I know, but I should have seen this whole thing coming. Even though I don't like to believe it, this was the type of thing Aonung would do." I hung my head slightly, "How is your family."
"Scared, I got a scolding from my father, but that doesn't matter too much. My mother has been sitting silently for a while, Kiri had to comfort Tuk because she was crying so much."
I hated to think of the poor girl upset. She had such a bright smile to her that could light up a room, she did not need this to plague her thoughts.
"If I need to go out there myself and look for him I will." I whispered.
"No no, you can't do that, you said it yourself, it's dangerous." He looked at me, I could tell he was dead serious, "You can't put yourself at risk because of your brother, and my brothers stupidity."
"You do though." I mumbled.
"Thats a different story." He retorted.
I decided not to argue with him about it, it wasn't a good time to anyways.
"Sorry, not the right time."
"It's okay, I know you mean well." He reassured.

My father walked out of our hut, Aonung and my mother following behind him. Immediately, I could tell from the expression on his face that he was uncertain on what to do. He had to make a decision that would keep others safe, but also make sure Lo'ak came back alive too. I knew he didn't want a death to burden him either.
"Father if I may make a suggestion, I think it would be best to send out a patrol to look out for him somehow."
"I can't put anyone else in danger dear daughter, and I don't think anyone would want to go looking for him." He explained.
"I will." I volunteered, I could tell Neteyam wanted to interrupt but I stopped him, "I can take Pearl and we can patrol the borders of the reef."
"It is dangerous Y/n, only adults are really out beyond the reef, and this is an example of it." my mother interjected into the conversation.
"I know I know, but it's better trying than doing nothing at all." I hoped they would understand my argument.
They both shared a look, contemplating the thought. Inside half of my brain was telling me this was a good idea and half of it was telling me this was a death wish in itself.
"Fine, but if you run into danger, you come home, even if you don't have the boy."
With a determined look on my face, I nodded looking at the Sullys, "I will find him."

The village people dispersed allowing me a short space of time to get ready. Gathering my dagger, crossbow and saddle I called for my Ilu. Before I got on I felt someone grab my wrist.
Whipping my head around I saw Neteyam, his expression like earlier was riddled with worry.
He gave me a serious look, "Please, be careful."
Gently I clasped his hand, just like I did to Kiri, "I promise I will be, don't worry."
"Okay, don't put yourself at risk."
"I will do my best," I smiled.

Gently I let go of his hand and hopped on Pearl, signalling to go forward. In my head I didn't really have a plan, which probably wasn't the wisest of choices. All I knew was I had my one priority, and that was to find Lo'ak no matter what. My stubbornness wouldn't let me return home empty handed.

It started with a look at the outskirts of the reef, slowing looking for anything that could signal that he was nearby or even alive. The thought that worried my mind was that he wasn't alive. Trying to push that thought behind I went further in my search. Going around 100 metres past the borders of the reef to get a better view. In the distance I heard the distressed cries of another Ilu. More negative scenarios wondered in my mind, looking at how far away the Ilu's cries were.
Internally I knew I shouldn't be going this far out, but I knew he needed help. Telling my Ilu to go forward I surged forward to the source of the noise, the wind and water nipped at my skin as it crashed into me.

Upon arrival I realised that he wasn't here. The Ilu didn't have a rider. I made my way to the stressed creature, trying to calm it down and make sure it made its way home safe. I stroked its head softly, checking for any injuries that it had. Fortunately there were none. However, he was now alone, without an Ilu which worried me more. No one could survive out there for very long, not even the elders of the Metakayina.
Sending the Ilu on its way, I continued my search, unsure of how to proceed. The only thing to do was venture further, which I knew was a bad idea but it was my only current solution.

Venturing forward I looked now more hysterically around for Lo'ak, worrying as nightfall grew closer. I still wasn't coming home empty handed. With one more circled around, I noticed a large figure in the distance. Its distinct noises were familiar to me. It was a Tulkun.

Edging my way closer to the source of the wailing sound with caution, I noticed it come to the surface. A familiar face riding on his fin. My eyes widened looking at the Tulkun. It was Payakan...
To add to my shock, was Lo'ak sitting on him, a smile on his face.

"LO'AK!" I shouted from afar. He turned his head quickly to look at me. He seemed just as surprised to me see as he got up from his seated position.
"Y/n! What are you doing here?" He asked almost clueless.
"Looking for you, you idiot, your whole family is worried sick," I rolled my eyes, until my gaze landed on Payakan. He looked up realising how late it had gotten.
"How did this happen?" I asked.
"He saved me, from one of those shark creatures." He said petting him.
My eyes widened, "You ran into an Akula! Are you okay?!" I asked looking at him for injuries.
"Yeah, just a few scratches." He said nonchalantly.
"Okay well, you may need to say goodbye to Payakan, we need to get you home now." I said sternly.
"Payakan? How do you know thats his name?" He asked me, getting off him.
"No time to explain, Its a long story." I mumbled.
He seated himself behind me, looking back as Payakan swam off.
"Goodbye my friend." He whispered to himself.

I realised how far away we were from home which worried me slightly, nightfall now even closer than before. The ride back was silent, having to stop now and again as Pearl was getting tired from venturing for so long. I stroked her head gently, allowing her to rest and regain her stamina.

As we neared home I felt a sense of unease in my stomach.
"Y/n? Are you okay?" Lo'ak asked me innocently.
"Yeah, I think so." I said a hint of uncertainty in my voice.
Looking around again I surveyed the area, trying to understand why my nerves were suddenly shot. Until Lo'ak muttered something that made my stomach sink.
"Um, Y/n, we have company."
"What do you m-. Oh shit." My whole body froze looking forward again.
For a moment we looked in silence as it neared closer and closer. Frozen in fear.
"You don't think Payakan would be able to assist us?" I whispered, my voice shaky.
"I don't think so." He whispered back.

It seemed the Akula had come back to bite.
——————————————————-
This was definitely one of my favourite chapters haha, hope you like it.
-author out