29. Peace

Diving down we split up into two groups. Spider and Lo'ak went to look for Jake and Kiri and I looked for Neytiri.

I was worried since the air pockets would be running out quickly due the ship slowly sinking.
Knowing Kiri was gifted I watched as she summoned a school of glowing fish, swaying them with her hands before pointing downwards and allowing them to explore the dark abyss and create a pathway. Kiri nodded at me as we dove down, to find the other two.

I looked around carefully for any sign of them, desperately searching. Following the light of the fish, we soon found the air pocket and to our relief we saw Tuk and Neytiri too.
"Kiri, Y/n!" Tuk exclaimed happily.
"It's going to be alright, we are going to get you out of here." I assured, holding Tuk's hand.
"Mum I'm going to give you this, it will help you with your breathing." Kiri handed the creature allowing Neytiri extra air.
"Deep breaths, the swim is quite far." Kiri imitated deep, calming breaths.
"Slow your heart rate steadily." I reminded.

With one last breath we dove down, Tuk kept holding my hand as we swam upwards following the glowing fish. I felt a surge of relaxation through my body, forgetting all my injuries for a moment and allowing myself to believe that we would all be okay. We all gasped for breath as we reached the surface. I turned hearing the familiar noises of Payakan, Neteyam, Lo'ak and Jake all laying on his fin. As we arrived there, practically collapsed onto his fin, Neteyam pulling me close to him, as though he would never let me go.
Jake pulled his wife close to him, leaning his head against her before looking at everyone as a whole.
"We all okay?" He asked.
Nodding in unison we headed back to the rocks, seeing Rotxo, Aonung and Reya all there.

Aonung ran up to me, pulling me into a tight hug. I swear I heard a sniffle too. I understood that he had assumed the worst.
"You're safe, you're okay." He whispered more to himself than me.
"Yes brother, I'm okay." I smiled for the first time in a while.
Pulling away from the hug, I gave both Rotxo and Reya a hug too, grateful that they were all safe.

We all stood in silence, watching as the ship fully sunk to the sea floor. Jake, bringing Lo'ak, Spider and Neteyam close to him. Neytiri held her daughters close, as though she would never let them out of her sights.
Aonung held me and Reya at his side closely, one arm around us each. I leant against his shoulder, sighing softly. It was done, the war was done, no battle and no fear. Just feeling of contentment and tranquility.

We soon held a funeral for all the men and woman who had passed on during the battle. Reya and I shed our tears, watching as they buried familiar faces that we treated like family. Lo'ak stood with Reya allowing the girl to cry in his arms. Neteyam rubbed circles on my arm and he pulled me close to him, a few tears running down my face. Aonung stood on the other side of me, his hand placed on top of my shoulder in a way of me knowing he was there too for comfort. I knew the consequences of war was death, yet it seemed I hadn't been as prepared as I would have wanted to be after all. They were with Eywa now, which I saw was one of our biggest blessings too, their spirit allowing to roam free under the guidance of a goddess.

After the funeral we all made our way to our separate areas for the mourning period. Everyone dispersed allowing myself to have some time to think.
I found myself travelling to the cove, almost as though the gentle waves of the ocean were carrying me there like it was fate. Sitting under the stars, I stared, admiring its beauty once more. My fingers traced the scarred bullet wound across my arm, thinking back on the amount of chaos that had ensued from that period. I knew in my heart that Eywa had given me the strength to keep going and not give up. But at the same time, my other high motivation was ensuring the safety of Neteyam. When I saw him at knife point all I could think of was ways to save him, no matter the cost.

As I became lost in my thoughts, I heard a shuffle behind me. Whipping my head around I saw the loving familiar face of Neteyam staring back at me.
"I hope you don't mind me being here, I had a feeling you needed some company," he said shyly.
I chuckled, patting a space next to me on the grass.
Immediately I leant against his body, suddenly feeling very content.
"How are you coping?" He asked me softly.
"I'm sad to see them go, but it is after all the consequences of war." I remarked.
I turned to face him, my fingers tracing the scarring on his shoulder gently, flashes of the memory flooding my head. Gently he pulled my hand away, clasping it in his own.
"Through all this, as we may prepare for even more war in the future, I know that we shall stay together through it all. I know that Eywa will keep us together until the bitter end."
"And that is all I need." Planting a gentle kiss on his lip.

"You are all I ever wanted love to be my love, you are the best feeling I could ever experience, you make me feel whole again." He whispered, running him thumb over my cheek.
"I got lost in your eyes the day I met you." I returned, "And I never want to be found."

Under the stars we lay next to each other, taking in each others body heat, allowing no other worries to cloud our thoughts. I knew that no matter what happens now, we would be together. He was part of the Metkayina now, he was part of our family and he would continue to be until the end.

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night, and now I have loved him too fondly to be fearful of change..

——————————————————
The end.

Thank you guys so much for all your support, it means so much to me honestly. I only started this as a joke having no clue how much support and love I would get either. So thank you so so much, I love you all. For now I will be gone, but maybe in the future I will publish something else, who knows. But now I say my goodbyes
-Author out.