23. Dance

Now and again our tribe would come together for some sort of dance and song get together. Simply for the purpose of fun and feeling relaxed. Recently, the Sully's had introduced to something called 'slow-dancing' which had seemed really fun, but was definitely a more romantic dance.
Most of the time, a calm tune would be sung allowing all couples to dance together in peace. Although very different from our normal traditional dances, it was a good change and it made my heart warm to see how each couple danced together too. I had never seen my mother so calm in such a long time, staring up at my father with love in her eyes, my father looking at her with the warmest grin in return.

Neteyam and Kiri had attempted at teaching Tuk how to do it which was an amusing sight, but also wholesome to see Neteyam act in his big brother role too. Reya was fidgeting slightly, looking at all the couples dancing together, I laughed at her obvious nervousness.
"Just ask him." I whispered making her yelp in surprise.
"What, I don't know what you're talking about." She said defensively.
"Get up and ask him for a dance, it's romantic." I teased.
"I don't know how to dance!" She retorted.
"He does, just ask him and stop being a baby." I laughed, nudging her slightly.
"I don't want you sitting alone." She muttered.
I rolled my eyes smiling, "Just go, I am fine here." I said sincerely.

Slowly she got up from her position on the sand before making her way to Lo'ak who was sitting by himself too.
Watching as she nervously asked the daring question, his eyes light up a smile spreading on his face.
Taking her hand in his, he led her to the floor guiding her at what to do when. I couldn't help but smile at the sight, seeing my sister so happy and at peace. I myself was calm, but I felt lonely still. I wasn't sure why, but I did. It was as though I craved that loving contact too, but I just didn't have it, but I knew who I wanted it from.
Gazing at Neteyam, I wished to have myself in his arms, slowly swaying to the music. However, even though hypocritical, I was just as nervous as Reya. Plus he looked so happy with teaching Tuk that I didn't want to interfere with brother-sister bonding either. In a way I was happy to sit and watch the couples longingly, it gave me hope for love.

After some time I got up from my seat, removing myself from the crowd but still able to hear the music from afar. Sitting down back on the sand, I found myself swaying to the music subconsciously, closing my eyes and forgetting about all other things. These past months had been a wild experience, some things I would never forget, and some people too. It felt like a fever dream, as though my world has been completely flipped upside down, just by one person..

Opening my eyes again, I couldn't help looking at the stars again, thinking of when I went to the cove to watch the stars with Neteyam, silently crying in his arms with no shame. Or the first time we watched the stars, and he complimented by positivity since we first met. Plus the countless times we would watch the stars after dinner, sometimes in complete silence, not even needing to utter any words to each other, our presence was all we needed.

In my peripheral vision I noticed a hand stretched out towards me, turning my head my heart practically skipped a beat at who was standing before me.
"May I have this dance?" Neteyam asked me softly.
"Of course." I smiled, gently taking his hand.
He pulled me close, one arm place gently on my hip and the other clasping my hand. I leant against his chest, swaying softly to the song. My heart was beating out of my chest knowing how close I was to him.
Nothing had to be said in the moment, we were simply dancing in the arms of one another, nothing else having to plague our thoughts. I could feel his heartbeat against my ear, it brought me a sense of calm.
Looking up at him, he smiled a soft genuine smile looking at me with pure care and kindness.
"May I.. say something?" He said slowly.
"Of course." I smiled.
He stopped dancing for a moment, looking at me with serious but genuine stare.

"Y/n, you are someone who I admire, as I have said so many times before. Someone who is a genuine spirit who can cause anyone to smile in your presence. And I know that whenever I needed someone to comfort me, you were there. I had never felt an urge to protect someone before like I have for you, and.." he stumbled a bit.
"Neteyam what are you saying?" I asked, my heart now evidently beating even faster.
"What I am trying to say is.. I find myself now even with a sky full of stars glistening in the sky, I am instead staring at you. Looking and gazing at each feature of yours, each beautiful birth mark on your face, each distinct type of colour in your eyes, each beautifully braided strand of hair. I look at you and I'm home Y/n.."

"I love you."

My whole world stopped, all I looked at was him, his pretty eyes, and contagious smile. His iridescent beauty was captivating, something I could never forget for as long as I lived. It was as though I was waiting my whole life for this exact moment.

"I love you too Neteyam." I returned, gazing deeply into his eyes.
Cupping my cheek gently, he ran his thumb across my cheek softly. Looking at me with a sparkle in his eyes, a feature I had noticed about him ever since we met.

And then he brought his lips to mine. A simple kiss, exploding with meaning and depth. The moment was prefect, the feeling was perfect, everything was prefect. He kissed me gently, no rush or urge to do more, just a kiss that meant a thousand words. A kiss under the light of  a thousand stars seemed fitting.
My one arm was placed on his shoulder, as we pulled apart gazing at each other with a new found look of attraction, it felt all too real now.
"I had been waiting to do that for a long time." He muttered smiling.
"I'm glad you did." I chuckled kissing him on the cheek.
"Will you be mine?"

"Forever and always Neteyam."

————————————————
And it happened..
-author out