10. Connection

Today was an extra special occasion. We would be showing everyone our Spirit Cove allowing them to connect to Eywa and feel more connected to our tribe. The ride was a bit slower than usual just so the others could take in the scenery around them and the beauty of the cove. Soon we would be diving down showing an even more immersive scene. To think that they were finally starting to become one of us made me smile. My wins from yesterday had caused slight muscle aches and pains but I ignored them because I wanted to make sure they enjoyed their time, and I didn't want to miss it either.

Once we went under, Reya and I grabbed some jellyfish looking creatures and handed it to the others. They were beautiful creatures, very elegant which could help in tense situations. But for now, there was no need to worry. It was simply peace.
"It will help you breathe underwater" I signed to them and they all nodded in thanks. I decided not to connect to the spirit tree in case of an emergency of some sort.

"Connect to the spirit tree and relax." I signed again. They seemed to understand me which made me happy Knowing that they were learning. They all connected slowly, as though apprehensive at first. I could understand it, knowing it's a different experience especially underwater. I hoped they trusted us enough to know they were totally safe and were simply now under the guidance of Eywa more spiritually.

Gazing at them all, my eyes stopped at Neteyam, his face calm, I could see a smile on his face, making me intrigued as to what he was seeing. Tuk was swaying slightly as though looking around at something. I wanted to so badly connect with Eywa today but I knew it was too much of a risk with the others. It was more of a priority to make sure they were safe. Reya grinned whilst being connected, and I secretly hoped it was about Lo'ak. It seemed that ever since they arrived she was so much happier when Lo'ak was around. But at the same time I was happier too, the whole family made me feel comfortable and safe.
Neteyam especially, something about him was different. He was a leader, someone who knew what he was doing, with good morals and a strong heart. Constantly putting others first in dangerous situations and prioritising their safety. It was admirable and I hoped one day I would be able to tell that in person too instead of it staying in my thoughts.

After several minutes, I noticed Kiri writhing around ever so slightly, as though she was uncomfortable. I made my way over to assess if something had gone wrong when she suddenly seized her body contorting in weird ways. My eyes widened as I tapped Aonung and Neteyam frantically who got out quickly. Neteyam's eyes widened as he swam to his sister. I disconnected the bond which allowed them to swim upwards. Reya looked at me with wide eyes as we both swam up to the surface. Aonung helped Neteyam to get her onto his Ilu before doing mouth to mouth.
"Is she breathing?" Rotxo asked worriedly.
"Neteyam?" I said.
"Is she breathing?" Rotxo asked again, even more worried. I put my hand on his back to comfort the boy.
Finally she gasped, coughing out some water.
"We need to get her back now!" Neteyam practically ordered, his Ilu dashing forward. Aonung looked at me with worry in his eyes, my heart was pounding at what had just happened. We followed close behind him, I prayed she would be alright.

Pacing outside their hut, I waited and waited to hear anything from them. My mind was racing with thoughts. Nothing like that has ever happened before that I knew of, it was bizarre to me. I unconsciously bit my nails trying to think of ways to help but at the same time I didn't want to intrude. The two men who had arrived in the helicopter looked like healers with weird machines, but I wasn't sure if sky people medicine would help.

Aonung approached me,  I quickly retracted my hand from biting my nails.
"It's gonna be okay, she will be fine." He tried to reassure me.
"It was horrible Aonung, I was so shocked I didn't know what to do. I had to keep them safe and I didn't." I whispered.
"None of this is your fault, you did everything you could, and that's what was needed." He said, he looked like he contemplated something for a moment.
"Hug?" He asked in a slightly awkward manner. I could tell this wasn't his forte.
I simply nodded, his arms wrapping around me in a tight brotherly hug, allowing me to relax ever so slightly. He wasn't used to any sort of physical contact but he knew when I needed it most, which is what I appreciated. He stroked the back of my head lightly, not saying a word.

Shortly after I noticed the two men leave the hut after my mother entered. Looking at Aonung he nodded for a moment acknowledging that I was going inside. Peaking inside, Jake made eye contact with me and nodded allowing me entry. Sitting down, Tuk ran over to me, hugging me tight. I almost teared up on the spot as I held her close. I could tell she was scared, the poor girl had gone through enough emotional torment for a long time. Neteyam came in silently taking a seat next to me, he gestured, "I see you." But didn't say anything.
Returning the gesture, I looked back at my mother, hoping she would be able to do something.

She got to work swiftly, making sure she used whatever technique she knew to help her. The determination on her face gave me home. As she worked I made sure to hug Tuk tighter knowing she needed the comfort. In the corner of my eye I noticed Neteyam playing with his hands anxiously, watching my mother.
Instinctively I softly clapped his hand in a comforting way, allowing him to know I'm here to help him. He looked at me for a moment, but I didn't look at him but I could tell he acknowledged my action. I slowly rubbed my thumb over his skin, instilling a feeling of safety for him. He took a deep breath as we all watched intently. Neytiri held Kiri's hand until the end, Jake watching worriedly too. I could tell Neytiri was on the verge of tears.

A sudden gasp escaped Kiri's lips as she opened her eyes, blinking rapidly. We all sat up slightly, watching as Kiri gained her vision, tears streaming down her face. Neytiri cupped her face, reassuring her that everything would be okay.
"Thank you." Neytiri whispered to my mother who nodded, I caught a small smile on her face but didn't say anything.
Neteyam made her way to Kiri with Lo'ak, Tuk also running to her big sister. I took it as a sign for the family to have some alone time.

Once I left, I let out a long sigh of relief, allowing my body to relax. Aonung from a distance gave me a smile, I assumed mother had told him and Reya the good news. I returned the smile, making my way to the sea.
Just to sit with my thoughts once again.

——————————————-
Last chapter for today, but I will say that the Aonung character development is getting there. What do you guys think so far?
-Author out