47. Deaths in war

Deaths in War

The battle between the two sides had gone on for less than an hour, yet the ground was littered with corpses and body parts—severed legs, lopped off heads, and chopped arms still spewing blood.

The cold winter air did little to mask the acrid stench of blood and burning flesh, while the dense array of trees surrounding the battle further amplified the cacophony of screams.

Yet, none of that made a difference to me. My mind grew numb at one point as my body seemed to be moving on my own. I'd killed only a handful of men but I was already slick with blood. My tunic and pants stuck to my skin, but I couldn't tell if it was from sweat or blood.

Words were hardly spoken in the midst of battle. Words were useless. Instead, soldiers from both sides let out primitive cries as they fought, drunk on adrenaline as they flailed their weapons.

As I drew my blade from the bloody chest of another man, I clicked my tongue. There was nothing good about this. Death of a beast was one thing, but both sides were of the same kind.

I kicked away the limp body and used its clothes to wipe the blood from my sword.

I stood and stared around looking around the battlefield
I looked at my best friend and just as I looked at him ,his eyes were widened as he desperately mouthed something to me.

I couldn't hear what he was saying but it didn't matter, I'd ask him later. The axe-wielder was still struggling to pull his weapon out from the ground, when I felt a sharp searing pain in my chest.

In an instant, all of my strength and furor was seeped dry. My hands could no longer clench into fists. The ground suddenly seemed closer as I realized I'd fallen to my knees. I looked down at the source of my pain, only to see a large sword through my chest.

And when the sword was pulled out

I instinctively tried to cover the hole with my hands, only feel a burning pain spread on my palm. I pried my gaze away from my wound to my......brother running towards me shouting something

I couldn't make out the words seeing as everywhere sounded muffled.

I lost feeling in my legs as I crumpled to the floor. I grew sleepy and cold, my last thought of how tall the bloodstained grass looked from down here.