54. Motives:2

Motives 2

Even though she had no direct experience, Sophie knew how bloody a war was and was scared of its consequences.

"Where are my brothers ,Sam and Will,?" She asked without wasting time in pleasantries.

"How come the General of the Army arrived first despite the paperwork and the meetings whereas my brothers are missing? Are you sure that nothing bad happened to them?"

"I'm pretty sure that they're okay." The general replied, doing his best to sound confident. "There's nothing to worry about, Sophie. Soldiers usually don't get back straight home after a tough mission.

"They need time to unwind and make sense of their actions. The best way to do that is to goof around, drink, and talk with your comrades."

"Why?" She asked in confusion. "Isn't it better to seek solace in the peace of your home and in the warmth of the people who love you?"

"I wish it was that simple." The general sighed, knowing the feeling all too well.

"There can be no peace in a home when you walk on eggshells around everyone to not burden them with your demons.

"No matter how much a civilian loves you, they have no idea what it is to take so many lives. To walk through the enemy fire and explosions. You have no idea how the chaos of the battlefield keeps haunting a soldier even after the mission is over."

"They just need time to get their minds together"the general finished

Sophie pondered his words for awhile until she said "Sam will get over it after awhile it's Will I'm worried about......he tends to get cold in the mind".