51. Motives

Motives

Sam had expected the enemy camp to be run by shady criminals and people who obeyed the demon king because they were too scared to do otherwise. Yet the place looked like a park's picnic area.

"I'm familiar with collateral damage, but the idea that these people will die from the explosion still sucks". Sam said while he and Will stuck against the walls of secondary corridors to avoid someone from accidentally bumping into them and exposing their presence.

"This is war, Sam". said Will. "We are taught to demonize the opponent. To think of them as evil monsters bent on destruction while we are the good guys".

"Otherwise, soldiers would realize that their enemies are just like them, obeying orders and trying to make a living".

Will then continued "At that point, aside from zealots, no one would be capable enough to keep fighting". Will said while setting the explosives carefully.

"So you would call "us" zealots? Willie" Sam said with smirk on his face obviously looking to annoy Will

"First of all , fuck you bro" he said with an obvious vein mark on his forehead evidence of his annoyance

Then Will continued in a serious manner " second, You and I know the reason we do these.......dark things for the higher ups"

"Yeah I know" Sam said with a solemn look.

Will and Sam both sighed as they continued setting up.