68. Change

They had been running through the forest for some time as Will spoke up saying

"I just don't understand why he's behaving that way towards me, we used to be friends"

"Will, people change..."Sophie spoke softly after a long while.

"As we grow up, as we experience more things, we will change... Perhaps one day, I will change... and I think, you will as well..."  muttered Sophie.

'Will I..?'
Will thought as he ran, he fell silent.

When the sky became dark completely, Will and Sophie stopped. Traveling at night was exceptionally troublesome. Besides, there was still some distance left before they reached the town. As such, they set up camp under a big tree for the night. They took shifts so that one of them could lay down to sleep while the other kept watch.

Will leaned against the tree and his gaze fell upon Sophie, who slept.

After watching her for some time, Will looked at the dark sky. The moon shone brightly and it looked beautiful as it hung in the sky with a curtain of stars. Yet, it made people feel small and insignificant when they lifted their heads and looked up.

'People change... Will I... change too..?'
Will gazed quietly as he recalled their earlier conversation.

'If I do change some day... how will I change...?'
Uncertainty appeared in Will's eyes. This was too complicated a question for a 19 year old teenager.

'Perhaps I'll be like my father and become a really good Healer. I'll bring my future wife on a journey around the world. We'll go to places we have never been, we'll go to all the countries in the world and cure lots of people...

'Perhaps, I'll even become a father... Then I'll bring my child and live with them. We'll go on a journey until we grow old together... I'll talk about all of my experiences with the grandchildren I'll have in the future... just like how my father spoke to us about his life...'

Will smiled. It was a pure, honest and happy smile.

Su Ming sighed as he smiled.
"Sophie, I won't change!"