20| Midsummers

Season 1, chapter 20:

The next morning, I woke up and had another shower and shaved as today was the day I would be attending Midsummers with my grandmother. But I was getting ready with Kie  and my grandmother would pick me up at Kie's house. I didn't care about a stupid party, or getting dressed up and smudging makeup all over my face. All I wanted was to see JJ, to hug him, to kiss him. But most of all, I want to see him unharmed. I pray and pray the next time we meet I don't see a new bruise on his face.

'You okay?' Kie asks as she looks at herself in the mirror. I let out a sigh before nodding. 'Yeah, I'm fine. You look beautiful.' I say forcing a smile on my face. 'This is disgusting.' Kie says. She had a silky purple dress with her hair up in a messy bun and a flower crown placed on top. 'I know. It's just horrible. I'm asking you to relax and go to a fun party.' Anna, Kie's mom says sarcastically entering the room. 'I look like a bourgeoisie pig.' Kie says disgustingly. 'Will you please not worry about socioeconomic injustice for one night?' Anna pleads as she puts on earring. 'Lizzie, you should get dressed. Your grandmother called she's on the way.' Anna smiles at me and I nod. I pick up my dress and walk into the bathroom closing the door behind me.

I put on my long, sleeveless green dress with a slit down the side and take my hair out of the bun as it falls down my shoulders, wavy. I look at myself in the mirror and for a moment, I felt really pretty. I can't believe Kooks do this on a daily basis. 'I definitely wouldn't fit in.' I roll my eyes as I leave the room. 'You look gorgeous!' Kie exclaims as a smile forms on her face. I scoff as I fix my top piece of the dress. 'Have you heard from JJ?' I ask and she lets out a sigh. 'No. Sorry.' She replies and I nod hiding my disappointment. 'I saw you kiss him.' Kie blurts out and my eyes widen. 'Are you guys dating?' Kie asks. 'No!' I answer immediately. 'It was just the heat of the moment, Kie. He doesn't feel the same for me.' I say and she rolls her eyes. 'JJ may be many things but be he only has eyes for you, Lizzie. He always glances at you when we're all together. Always goes to you and makes sure you're okay.' Kie says and a blush appears on my face. 'He'll be okay.' She reassures me and I nod. 'Your grandmother is here, Elizabeth!' Anna's voices echoes down the halls and I roll my eyes. 'I'll see you there.' I hug Kie and she nods. 'See you soon.' Kie replies as I pull away and make my way down the stairs.

⚓️⚓️⚓️

The drive to Midsummers was in silence except for when George complimented my dress and asked how I was. I really am grateful he was there because otherwise it would be insufferable. Once we arrived at Midsummers, the place was already crowded with Kooks talking amongst each other probably about their money, divorce or about themselves. 'Be on your best behaviour tonight, Elizabeth Forbes.' Esmeralda, my grandmother says and my eyes widen. 'It's Hart!' I snap at her and she scoffs. 'I can't believe that stupid son of mine took that Pogues name!' She says bewildered as I glare at her. 'That Pogue is my mother and her name is Lydia. He took the name Hart cause he was ashamed to be associated with a selfish woman like you!' I snap at her before leaving the car before she could reply to me. I make my way through the building before entering the backyard and it was more crowded than inside. My eyes immediately meet Pope's as he by the grill and I wucikly make my way over to him.