21| Hawks Nest

Season 1, chapter 21:

'Hey, guys. So, like my dads already gonna kill me. So what's this mandatory meeting about?' Pope says sitting down next to Kie as we all gather around a campfire. JJ sits down beside me as he interlocks his hand with mine and a soft smile appears on my face. 'I agree with Pope. My parents are going to ground me especially after I slapped Esmeralda.' I say rolling my eyes and Pope and JJ chuckle. 'Might as well tell them, man, before we're gaffed.' JJ mutters glancing at John B as he picks up the fire with a stick. 'You ready for this?' John b asks looking at Kie, Pope and me. 'Yeah.' I shrug resting my head on JJ's shoulder.

'So, the gold never went down with the Royal Merchant.' John b reveals and my eyes widen in surprise. 'Oh, my god. Here we go again with this.' Pope sighs, rolling his eyes. 'No. All right, wait. Hear him out. All right?' JJ says looking at Pope. 'It's been here the whole time.' John b admits. 'It's on the island.' He smirks at all of us. 'Are you serious?' Kie asks and John b nods. 'Oh, my god.' I gasp. 'I'd like to voice my scepticism.' Pope speaks up as JJ and I share a glance and smile. 'Im sure you would, Pope, but can I please present to you with my evidence, sir?' John B says grabbing his backpack as I lean forward with excitement. 'Proceed.' Pope replies. 'All right. So, in my backpack, I have a letter from Denmark Tanny.' John b says holding out a letter. 'Who the hell's that?' I ask raising my eyebrows in confusion. 'Denmark Tanny was a slave that survived the Royal Merchant wreck. Check this out.' John b says handing the letter to me. 'Okay, slaves weren't mentioned as crew members on the ship, but my dad, he found the complete manifest.' John b says while I look at the note. 'That's his big discovery.' John b continues. 'So Danny used the hold from the Merchant to buy his freedom.' John b says while I hand the letter to Pope. 'After that, he bought his farm. Drumroll please.' JJ and Kie start to a drumroll. 'Because that farm is...Tannyhill Plantation.' John b exclaims.

'Tannyhill?' Kie and I ask in unison. 'Yeah, so after that he used his money to free more slaves, and then he sold a shit ton of rice, which pisses off all the white planters and then they decide to lynch him.' John b says, leaving all of us in silence to think. 'So on the day they were coming to get him, he writes a letter to his son as a farewell, and in the last line of that letter, he leaves a coded message about where to find the gold.' John b says pointing at Kie and me with a smile. 'Where?' Kie asks. 'Harvest the wheat in parcel nine, near the water. Except there's no wheat. You see what is code for gold. Check this out.' John b says sitting in between Kie and me showing the wheat symbol on the gold. 'The gold is in parcel time, near the water.' John b repeats. 'All we need is an original mal of the property, and we've found the gold!' John b exclaims. 'Okay, so this might have a small chance of actually being true!' pipe says as JJ gets up and highs John b, picking him up. 'Hey! Wish! Hello! Fire! You're near the fire!' John b panics as JJ drops him. 'I'm so proud of you right now.' JJ mutters. 'That's sweet of you.' John b pats him on the cheek. 'Okay, what's the play?' I ask John b.