33. News

"That was you?" Draco gasped.

I nodded. 

"I knew someone saved me. I couldn't remember anything, and when I came around, Theo told me Professor Snape was the one who found me. I thought I had imagined you. Hallucinated about the girl from the ball." He said quietly.

I chuckled. "No, that was me. I didn't do much. Just tried to close the wounds. Unsuccessfully, by the way."

"And threatened to kill Harry. It's good to know that wasn't a dream." He chuckled. "So you saved my life before you knew me?" He shook his head in disbelief.

"I knew of you. You were Draco Malfoy. I had just broken up with Theo not long before. I knew you were his friend." I shrugged. 

"Did Theo know that it was you who saved me?" Draco asked.

I nodded. "I met him in the hospital wing. When one of Harry's curses hit the mirror behind you, I managed to catch a few of the shards, my face and my neck had a pretty nasty one that refused to stop bleeding so Snape made me go to the hospital wing with you. Theo and Blaise came to see you and I was in the bed next to you covered in your blood and mine. Theo came to ask me what happened so I told him."

"Why did he lie?"

"I think it was so that you wouldn't seek me out to ask me questions. He was terrified that I would tell you that we used to date...or about how he and Blaise jumped me to obliviate me. I suppose he didn't want me to embarrass him." I shrugged.

"I still can't believe they did that to you. But you're right. If he told me you were the one to save me I would have sought you out. And probably fallen for you then."

"No you wouldn't have. I was a nobody back then."

"But you were already in my head.. My dance at the Yule Ball. My mystery girl. I would have figured it out."

"No, I doubt it. You would have seen my house colours and turned the other way." I smirked. "No one really knew me back then. People walked past me everyday, saw me with the trio and yet never questioned who I was. I am pretty forgettable."

"You are anything but." He sighed. 

"Everything OK?" I asked. 

"You are just... I mean, it's just that... You really are an incredible person. You saved me, even though I was the school bully. I sometimes wonder why you are with me. I mean, you are... just... wonderful."

"I was hardly going to leave you there," I shrugged. "What Harry did—using a spell he had no idea what it was and he was completely wreckless. He was lucky. He deserved a lot more than a few detentions." I used my finger to lift Draco's chin up. "I love you for who you are now. The boy who is not afraid to own up to his mistakes and show everyone that he has changed and continues every day to do what he can to be good.I have told you before but I ma in love with your soul Draco. I feel like it's perfectly made to match mine. I love the way you love your family and friends. The way you stand up for what is right and you never back down. I love that you don't let anything stop you. You are determined and strong and brave and loyal. I love that you treat me like a princess and still manage to make me laugh. I love that we both want the same things in life. I love that we have only known each other for a year and you are not afraid to talk about our furture and that we will always be together. I love that I know you will always be there for me. I love the way you love me."

He smiled and caressed my cheek as I continued. "You are the most amazing person I have ever met. I know you, more than anyone else in the world. You allow me to be myself and you don't hide me away. You aren't ashamed of me and more importantly, you saw me when no one else did. You knew who I was. I was invisible to everyone for years but you were the first person to actually know me."