Key to Kathleen?

As Kathleen put the key in the lock she opened the door in a swift movement and had her daughter take a seat in the powder room in front of the mirror

"I'll help you with your corset and then I'll leave the rest to you as I don't want to upset the stitching"
As Kathleen began undoing the corset she began questioning Adalyn about her night with Thomas and just what had happened.

"Well it's very unlady like and not the way your father and I raised you Adalyn, it's not about it reflecting on us but also that he is older then you, and your not to get up to that kind of business with a rich man who might want a one night treasure, now I'm not saying..."
Before Kathleen could finish her sentence Adalyn had already started another

"Mum! What honestly do you think went on? I slept in a night grown Trudy had brought Thomas and he slept on the floor I insisted I go home but the head nurse Ingrid had to stitch me up and said I had to be laid up for at least 10 hours. I'm no fool I know what will happen once we dock the ship, I'm just trying to get through this trip the best way I can and as far as Thomas and I there is no such issue i'm presumptuous that was a pity kiss and nothing more"
"So that's it then your alright?" Kathleen asked with an apprehensive look as the corset fell to the floor.
Adalyn nodded and Kathleen gave her a compassionate glance and left the room.
"What am I going to do when we dock the ship, I don't want to be known as his little girlfriend to only be together across the Arctic and break apart once we dock" that thought troubled Adalyn. She called for her mom as she pushed the thought away.
Kathleen began examining her daughters abdomen she stepped back acknowledging the fine craftsmanship. "I couldn't have done a better job, you'll be fine dear once we get back to America I'll get you some more antibiotics but for now it looks like your in good hands, come on now our first lunch is probably getting cold by now get dressed" and with that Adalyn. Finally began to relax.

Meanwhile back at the tea table

Thomas was nervous but you wouldn't ever tell as his suit hung on him perfectly Unwrinkled, and his eyes were soft and his hands calmly composed in his lap, an manner James hadn't seen many men with his title hold he was impressed but he wouldn't lead on so.
"So MR.Andrews that was quite the display back there" James lead on as his rich New Yorker accent flooded the room, this took Thomas a moment shortly remembering James was American.
"Thomas is fine, and with regards to that sir I have full intention with following through, to be frank I love your daughter I thought I couldn't love anything besides a ship and she Adalyn has proven that against my entirety"

"So you love her?"

"Very much so sir from the moment she tripped and I caught her I have a ring it's a beautiful ruby ring it reminded me so much of her I had to get it, red like her fiery New Yorker side if you will. What I'm asking is if I could have your daughters hand in marriage sir"

TO BE CONTINUED