Sunrise

The couple sat still as Thomas had his small fiancé on his lap embedded in his jacket. She trembled from the cold as their breathe rose above them.
     Worry grew when Thomas realized they hadn't located Adalyns parents but surely they had to be among the other life boats. Less then half the ships occupants were accounted for. A couple hundred went down with the ship as screams could be heard for miles, the stars looking down on them helplessly. Thomas knew there were less than half the life boats aboard the ship. And that was one mans fault. Ismay.  It still didn't make Thomas feel any less responsible for the lives lost. Among the rowing crew there were several children and some couples from what everyone could be made out to in the still darkness.
     Thomas leaned in and kissed his fiancé on the top of the head, she nuzzled him in response.

  "Ship!!! SHIP!! A ship has come into view! Look at those lights that must be for us!" I was so excited thinking about boarding that ship, it must be warm with some blankets and maybe food.  I hoped Thomas would stand by me and not leave me to take care of another passenger it was selfish I know but I wasn't feeling like a horse I felt like I had gone to the bottom along with the others...

    "It looks to be the Carpathia darling" Thomas was bleak as his Irish accent slipped into the air.
I smiled in response hoping it truly was for us.
     One things for sure. I would never get those frozen stiff lifeless-bodies with glowing eyes out of my head. It's something you hope to never see and don't know what to do when you see it. The boat we got on was the last to make it off the rms titanic the last one was sadly pulled down with the ship.

      I managed to save two sisters they sat on either side of Thomas and I. Big blue eyes with brown curly hair. Ruth and Dorothy both Irish. I had hopped there parents made it. Ruth was only four and Dorothy was 6. Poor girls. Their dresses were half soaked I admired them from my seat in the boat knowing if they hadn't guardians when we arrived, Thomas and I would take them in.

  As the sun rose from the bottom of the ocean the Carpathia gained ground and was coming to a slow as the coal slowly faded from the tops of the boiler funnels. My heart raced with anticipation and then sunk once more realizing most of those who've made it aboard lost someone.  I closed my eyes as I prayed silently for my parents to be aboard.

   13. Only 13 life boats made it. Some not even full. As we docked to the Carpathia I let the girls go out first then Thomas boosted me up and once again we were on a ship. My hands reached for the cold railings as Thomas followed I felt incredibly light headed but we had to search for that girls parents and mine.

  It was about an hour before someone finally helped up. Thomas left briefly looking for my parents and Ruth & Dorothy's parents. He came back empty handed with a defeated look on his face. He sat down on the wooden bench on the promenade with me. He laid down head in my lap as tears rolled down his cheek.
  I wiped them away knowing I couldn't say or do anything more to prevent what he was feeling.  He save 705 people including me. It wasn't even half the ship but he did save some passengers and I wouldn't let him take the blunt of this horrible evening.

"Adalyn Huges? Do we have an Adalyn Huges first class lady apparent fiancé to the well known Mr.Andrew's?"

   Thomas sat up seeping with anger.
   "Thomas it's ok, I'm sure they think it's just as strange" I rubbed his hand
  "That isn't apparent that is factual good sir! Take a look at the massive Ruby that so commands respect, on a night like this of all nights?."
  "We are sorry sir it's just a surprise of events is all! Madame Adalyn Huges and Thomas Andrew's Present as well as James and Kathleen Huges wonderful!" The steward stuttered

   "Girls? Have you any family when we board or any at all that we could contact for you?"
I leaned down and tucked a curl behind Ruth's ear.
     "All we had was mama and papa we never knew anyone else." Dorothy started sobbing
     "Oh no no no dear don't cry! Surly we will locate them in the meantime you girls can stay with us I'm sure!"
   Thomas looked at me grinning ear to ear knowing full well when we got to New York we would have two new flower girls.