Fifty - five | A Match Into Water

"Concussion

"Concussion."
"Torn ASL."
"Broken ribs."

I hear the paramedics speak before I feel myself being pulled out of the ambulance. The white ceiling tiles are moving fast and I can feel myself being pushed through a door.
"Luke! Look at me!" I hear someone shout and I am able to place my eyes on them. It's a women with dirty blonde hair that looks like it was rushed into a messy bun and every few seconds I can see a glimpse of green in her eyes.

"Good. That's good. I'm Dr. Goodwin," She says, and I focus on the movement of her lips to try to grasp on what she's talking about. "I'm going to take care of you, okay?"

My breathing is heavy and my eyes can't seem to stay on one place. It's like they can't comprehend what's happening.

The sound of sirens wail relentlessly, echoing the panic in my heart. My mind races, desperately searching for her—my Indra. The crash flashes through my memory: the screech of tires, the shattering glass, the blood on the floor. Is she okay? Did she make it?

Fear clenches my chest like a vice as I strain to see through the flurry of medical staff. Each passing face intensifies my dread. "Where's she?" I ask, but the doctor completely ignores me. "Trauma five!" Dr. Goodwin calls as they roll me into one of the rooms before I hear the sound of my clothes being ripped off me. "You're okay," Dr. Goodwin says with a smile. I start to feel my eyelids get heavy. "Stay with me, Luke."

The nurses and doctors hands are all over my body, but I can't see what they're doing. "Please, where is she?" They all ignore me. "Help her! Where is she?"

The nurses whisper something to each other, but with all the machines and chaos, I'm unable to understand them. Pain pulses through my body with every breath, a relentless reminder of the violent collision that shattered my reality. I try to stay calm, focusing on the sterile ceiling above, hoping that the medical team rushing around me can mend what feels irreparably broken. "I need her." I whisper before my eyes shut.

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆

"Kiss me." She places a light kiss on my cheek. "Again." She brings her lips to the other side of my face to kiss it once again. "More."

She rolls her eyes at me. I give her a grin going from ear to ear before she places a kiss right on my forehead. "Just one more." She rolls her eyes once again before she opens her textbook and continues studying.

Before she can even turn to the next page, I snatch the textbook from her and throw it across the living room. I practically jump onto her and I start littering her face with kisses. She starts giggling as she tries to push me away. "Luke stop it!" She shouts as I move to kissing her neck.

"Never." I mumble against her skin. "It tickles!" She laughs louder as she squirms under me.

I jolt up in the bed, gasping for air. I can hear machines beeping and I can feel the tug in my arm from the IV. "Luke?" I look to my left quickly to see a blurry and distorted figure. Like an overexposed photograph. "Mom," I croak out, my throat is dry. She takes my hand and squeezes it.