Chapter 2

"My name," His voice rang out loudly over the crowd, Ophelia's eyes were fixated on him now, "Is Darius Trudeau." He introduced himself placing a graceful hand on his chest. He looked like one of the noble omegas that Ophelia had seen at the church making large donations to look good to their peers. 

As Ophelia stared, she felt like his eyes were back on her, a wider smile graced his lips when they made eye contact. Ophelia felt the heat rise in her cheeks once more, his eyes curved up slightly as if still laughing about their little interaction just moments before.

Ophelia steeled herself, but quickly waivered, while it was natural that Darius would place his gaze on her. She was the tallest person in the village after all, the way that he looked at her... Ophelia felt beads of sweat trickle down her face and she swallowed dryly. Her heart thudded loudly in her chest and didn't calm down until his eyes removed themselves from her.

The way that man had looked at her... He looked like he wanted to eat her alive.

"I'm looking for men!" Darius announced to the village, his eyes then landed back on Ophelia. Without thinking she straightened her back, "Fighters." Darius corrected himself with a grin, his eyes moved from Ophelia and she let out a breath, "To join my cause!" Darius announced dramatically. "I wish to unite the five Dukedoms together into one country! An empire! One that withstands millennium!" Darius continued, and the villagers seemed to perk up hearing this, Ophelia saw eyes light up at the sound of Darius's words.

"It'll be a land in which by the sweat of your brow and the abilities of your hands you can become anything!" Darius promised dramatically, the light in everyone's eyes brightened hearing such an opportunity. Even Ophelia had to admit the thought of leaving the village and the hard work of a peasant behind was very tempting. Additionally, being one of the hands that helped birth a new nation... For people who were told they'd never be anything but peasants, it was everything they hoped for.

"But," Darius held the word in the air with a dramatic pause, "I won't lie to you." A charming smile was on his lips, "This will not be an easy task," He added, the expressions seemed to dim hearing this, "However!" Darius added, "if you stick with me," He motioned to himself giving a slightly flirtatious smile. Ophelia scowled he was doing that on purpose to get the other alphas in the village to follow him. "You will see riches and lands that you would've never known otherwise." He reached out his hand as he spoke this promise to the villagers. Ophelia swore that some of them were just about to climb into the stage after this charlatan omega.

Having just about enough Ophelia raised her hand, while she didn't like speaking up, it seemed she was the only one in the village who had half a brain outside of her pants. "Yes, the tall woman in the back!" Darius responded pointing at Ophelia, she kept her expression firm under his piercing gaze, and despite the friendly smile on his lips, Ophelia knew a snake when she saw one.

"How much does it pay?" Her voice ran out over the crowd, several villagers turned to look at Ophelia surprised. She didn't speak often for many this was the first time they had heard her speak at all. Ophelia clenched her teeth and narrowed her eyes, while she didn't like speaking up. This man... She had to speak.

Darius's smile faltered and he looked surprised for a moment. Ophelia wondered if it was because of her question knocked him off of his rhythm. But the pleased smile that appeared on his face told her something different. Ophelia bit her tongue holding back her urge to swear. He had that look again, she took a sharp breath and slowly released it trying to keep calm. She wasn't going to falter in the face of this man again.

"Two gold for every battle survived," Darius replied, suddenly the star-struck expressions vanished from the other villagers' faces. The word survived hung in the air and some of the younger alpha and beta men looked horrified. Those who had been caught hook-line and sinker previously lowered their gazes. But Darius didn't seem to care, he was focused on Ophelia right now.