Chapter 26

Content warning: Discussion of abuse, attempted sexual assault, and murder

"Why don't you show me something interesting Reeds?" Darius's voice was thick with a flirtatious tone, a smile formed on Ophelia's lips and she leaned forward kissing him again. "I'll take care of everything." She said softly, Darius smiled slipping off of her lap and in one quick motion Ophelia threw her axe. A figure fell from a tree with his head split open. She stood up drawing her sword just as the other two attacked. 

Darius sat off to the side watching her as she fought with them. Ophelia didn't have time to check his expression, not that she would want to. Getting distracted while fighting wasn't a good idea. One of what appeared to be assassins attempted to lunge at Darius. Ophelia grabbed the back of his hood and threw him onto the ground. She was just about to stab him through the back when Darius spoke up.

"Keep that one alive if you can Reeds." Darius directed, "Gotcha." Ophelia turned to the remaining assassin who lunged at her. With a swift movement, she decapitated him with her sword. Letting out a breath she pressed down on the back of the remaining assassin. "You monstrous bitch!" he spat, he squirmed under her, and Ophelia glanced down at him. "You really like decapitating people Reeds." Darius remarked casually, "It's the most effective way to make sure they won't get up again." Ophelia replied just before cutting the assassin's hands off. A scream came from the assassin.

"Now why would you do that?" Darius curiously asked, "I realized he might have hidden weapons. I decided to prevent him from using them." Ophelia reasoned. Darius tightened her coat around him looking comfortable, "Fair enough." He replied after a moment. "Might want to cut his legs off too." Darius reasoned, "So he won't run away." His eyes fixated on the tear-stained face of the assassin. 

Ophelia kneeled on the cloaked figure, "You know you make a good point commander." She shifted, "Too bad I don't have a reason not to do it..." She spoke casually looking at his legs. She grabbed one of the man's ankles beginning to press her blade into it when he shouted. "We were sent from Trudeau!" Ophelia paused and looked over at Darius, he waved her off and stood up. Ophelia removed her blade and the assassin relaxed letting out pained sobs. 

"So my dear cousin sent you...?" Darius questioned, Ophelia shifted still leaning onto the assassin to prevent him from moving just in case. "You have a cousin?" Ophelia questioned, "Yes, his name is Edgar Trudeau. He's the current Duke of the Trudeau territory." Darius explained. The assassin breathed heavily clearly suffering from the pain of losing both of his hands. "So what was his plan?" Darius asked, "Capture you..." The assassin breathed, "Why would your cousin want you alive?" Ophelia asked confused.

"To marry me." Darius flatly replied, "Gross." Ophelia deadpanned, "I know." Darius replied just as disgusted. "You can kill him now." Darius looked to Ophelia. "W-Wait! I know other things!" The assassin tried to bargain, but Darius looked down at him and laughed. "No, you don't." With that, Ophelia cut through the man's neck.

"So judging by them following us it stands to reason that Clover never attacked us in the first place." Ophelia stood up cleaning her blade off before sheathing it. "Exactly," Darius replied headed for the bushes outside of the cave. "Where are you going?" Ophelia asked, "To get your axe." Darius replied disappearing for a few moments before reappearing. "You wouldn't want to lose this would you?" He asked holding the axe in hand. "No." Ophelia's eyebrows were high on her forehead.

She was surprised that Darius realized she actually liked that. But honestly, she had made it pretty obvious carrying it around all the time. "You split that guy's head in two Reeds." Darius chuckled as if amused. He then handed the axe back to her, he glanced down at the dead bodies and sighed. "What a pain." He mumbled, "Let's loot and then burn them." Ophelia suggested, "You're beginning to sound like Lionel." Darius remarked, Ophelia had her hands on her hips, "Who do you think taught me that?" She asked looking down at Darius.