Chapter 57

"CADET OPHELIA REEDS!" Spencer's voice was shrill and he looked furious, Ophelia sighed, "I can hear you just fine Spencer." She spoke as Spencer approached, "Really?!" His voice was uneven from pure rage, "Cause last time we saw each other I was screaming your name and you left me on a galloping horse!" Spencer shrieked motioning over to Lorcan's horse, the horse's ears twitched a little bit and it nickered. "You said you knew how to ride." Ophelia shrugged, Spencer's eye twitched and Ophelia saw a vein pulsing on his forehead. With his muddy hands he grabbed Ophelia's collar pulling her down to his level.

"I was behind the saddle." He hissed through clenched teeth, his voice was quieter but he was shaking with rage. "Have you ever had to climb onto a saddle of a galloping horse in the middle of a battle?" He asked now nose to nose with Ophelia. "I don't think so...?" Ophelia asked, Spencer laughed, "REally?! Cause I have!" He screamed pushing Ophelia away. Spencer stood there taking slow breaths, he looked like he was trying to calm himself down before he passed out. Then slowly his eyes moved from Ophelia to Kellis noticing another person nearby. "Reeds." Ophelia heard Spencer say slowly, "Do you see the Clover soldier next to you?" He asked staring at Kellis. "She's real Spade." Ophelia sighed wiping her surcoat, Spencer had gotten mud on it while having his break down.

"Oh good." Spencer laughed, he looked back at Ophelia, "Why the hell is she here?" He asked motioning to Kellis who was just watching the situation looking dumbfounded. "I recruited her like I recruited the others." Ophelia said motioning to a couple of nearby ex-clover soldiers. Spencer stood there, Lorcan's horse moved closer and he leaned against it. "Thank you." He said to the horse as it snorted and seemed to glare at Ophelia. "How and why did you recruit Clover soldiers?" Spencer looked calmer now, honestly he just looked exhausted. "You said omegas liked gifts." Ophelia answered, Spencer gawked staring at her, his mouth hanging open.

"Poetry and flowers Ophelia! That's what I meant!" He shouted before wincing looking like he head a headache. Ophelia huffed furrowing her brows, "You said to get to know the person in question and get them gifts based off of their interests." She grumbled. "So you got an army?" Ophelia heard both Kellis and Spencer ask. Kellis's voice sounded stunned while Spencer just sounded exasperated and unsurprised. "I couldn't find a nearby castle to storm." Ophelia replied a bit sarcastically as she folded her arms. Though to be honest, if she had found one she would've at least tried. Darius would've liked a castle, she was sure of that. It'd have to be a nice one, she wouldn't want to get him one of those run down castles with walls falling down.

Spencer stared at her before glancing at Kellis, "Does she?" He started to ask motioning to Kellis who put her hands on her hips. "She woke me up this morning." Kellis answered, Spencer's eyes widened, "You two...!" He hissed before rubbing his face, "Spencer you're..." Ophelia started to say as Spencer let out a groan, "You're getting mud all over your... Your face." Ophelia spoke up stumbling over her words a bit, Spencer lowered his hands and glowered at Ophelia. "I have mud in places that mud should never be." He spoke frankly, he looked over at the horse near him, "Someone decided that the marsh looked like a great place to run in." He glared at the horse who looked away. "Caber likes to run, Lorcan never took him out enough. He probably got too excited because he had a rider that let him run." Kellis explained. "Caber?" Spencer questioned, "It's the horse's name. It belonged to my cousin." Kellis replied.

Spencer tilted his head, "Did your cousin die?" He asked noticing the past tense language, "Yeah, just last night." Kellis nodded, "I'm so sorry for your loss, if you don't mind me asking how did he pass away?" Spencer asked in a sensitive tone, "I killed him." Ophelia spoke up, Spencer went rigid hearing this. "Ophelia!" He shouted, Kellis laughed seeing this exchange, "Why are you shouting again?" Ophelia bemoaned feeling annoyed, her ears were ringing again, "Can't you be a little more sensitive?! That was her family!" Spencer exclaimed, "So? I've killed a lot of people's family. Some people even thank me for it." Ophelia deadpanned, Kellis howled with laughter as Spencer screamed at Ophelia. "What is wrong with you!?" Ophelia went to answer Spencer but Kellis's laughter became louder to the point that both her and Spencer looked over at Kellis who had tears in her eyes.

"I can't breathe!" Kellis wheezed holding her stomach keeling over, she wheezed and coughed with tears rolling down her face. After just a few moments the alpha woman seemed to calm down, she breathed heavily and cleared her throat. "I..." She giggled to herself, "I haven't laughed that hard in a long time." She chuckled, "You alright?" Ophelia asked, Kellis nodded, Spencer looked startled and confused. "My cousin was a rapist and a piece of shit." Kellis looked to Spencer slowly standing up straight. "Reeds here basically did me a favor." Ophelia smirked feeling vindicated, "See?" She said motioning over to Kellis while looking at Spencer. "That is not a normal response!" Spencer shouted at Ophelia. "You and I are going to have a talk because apparently I have to explain common decency to you!" Spencer took a step towards Ophelia to poke her upper chest but he stumbled. His legs gave out and Ophelia caught him. "Are you okay?" Ophelia asked concerned, Spencer looked up at her clearly pissed, "I am covered in mud, I have not slept and I think my heart is about to give out from how angry I am." Spencer's voice was stoic but his eyes burned with fury. "What do you think?" He asked with a sneer.

"So... No different than how you usually are?" Ophelia asked a bit humorously, "The second I can rid myself of you out of my troop I will." Spencer spat, "You've made my life hell." "You know some people think you're attracted to me." Ophelia remarked, "I would rather bite my own tongue off." Spencer flatly replied as Ophelia lifted him up, "Wouldn't that kill you?" She asked, "That's what I'm hoping for." Spencer replied as Ophelia threw him over her shoulder. "You're planning on carrying me?" Spencer asked, "For now anyway." Ophelia responded, "Be grateful, you're getting mud all over me." She sighed, "Good." Spencer spat.

Ophelia glanced over at Kellis who grinned at her looking amused, Ophelia raised her eyebrows and smiled wondering how long the smug look would last after she asked Spencer a few questions? "By the way Spencer, you mentioned you had a sister. Do you have any brothers?" She asked, Spencer laid cross her shoulder clearly having given up or his body had just given out from rage and exhaustion. "No. I just have a sister." Spencer sighed, "She's back home with our grandmother." He added, "You can't meet her." He spat sounding protective of her. Kellis struggled to maintain a stoic expression, Ophelia sneered slightly at Kellis, "What about cousins?" She asked, "No cousins. My father was an only child." Spencer answered, "Why are you asking me this?" Spencer questioned, Ophelia smiled seeing sweat trickle down Kellis's face. "No reason." She replied, the shorter alpha woman sneered, 'I'll get you back for this.' Kellis threatened mouthing the words at her. Ophelia only smiled feeling as if the mud was worth it now that she knew for certain exactly who Kellis's little friend was.