Chapter 51

"My name is Darius Trudeau," Darius introduced himself to the ex-Clover soldiers with a smile, "I'm the commander of the Imperial army and your future emperor." Ophelia smiled at Darius listening to him. As Darius continued to talk, she looked to the Clover soldiers who listened with interest though it was vague. "I won't keep you all too long as we've all had a long battle." Darius smiled charmingly, "But I can assure you, you will not regret joining me..." Darius spoke pausing for a moment, he glanced behind him and then over at Ophelia, "And my comrades in creating this new nation together." Darius continued, Ophelia felt Darius's arm snake around Ophelia's as he spoke giving her a slight squeeze.

"So with that all being said, welcome to the imperial army." Darius held out his free hand to the others, "I look forward to working with you all." Ophelia watched as the ex-clover now new imperial soldiers nodded amongst themselves looking a bit more pleased. Ophelia nodded feeling pleased as well, she went to move to join the others but felt Darius's grip on her arm tighten. She looked over just as Duval approached Darius's side. "Duval." Darius called, "Yes commander?" Duval's smooth voice rang out, he blinked his eyes slowly looking unaffected by the battle. "Make sure clean up efforts are started with those of us who are more fresh from the battle. Everyone else is ordered to rest." Darius ordered.

"Sure." He agreed before looking at Ophelia, an amused chuckle came from him when their eyes met but he said nothing. "Darius!" Another voice called as LeRoy approached. Darius had took only a single step with Ophelia in his grip, Ophelia heard a low frustrated growl rumble from Darius. Ophelia swore she heard Darius grumble softly, 'I swear to God...' Before taking a deep breath and turning his head, "Yes Lawrence?" He asked looking over his shoulder. "That cadet..." LeRoy pointed out Ophelia, "Are you going somewhere to be alone with her?" He asked looking concerned. Ophelia's eyes widened wondering how stupid LeRoy had to be ask something like that. She glanced at Darius who didn't even flinch at the question.

"Of course I am." Darius answered frankly, "Reeds has to give me her report." Darius glanced at Ophelia out of the corner of his eyes, Ophelia looked away feeling like whatever report she was going to be giving wasn't going to be done through traditional means.  LeRoy moved closer to Darius  a concerned expression on his face as he held a hand up and whispered loudly. "I don't exactly think she's safe enough to be alone with commander." He spoke, Darius stared at LeRoy incredulously, "What?" He asked with a sharper tone than what was clearly expected.

LeRoy let out a flustered sigh and rubbed his face, "Look I know Lionel spoke up for her and all, but yesterday she was walking around smelling just like you. I think she's being doing some weird stuff to your clothes or something—! And now she's went and got an army for you—!" Leroy exclaimed pointing at Ophelia who glowered. "The camp was being attacked what do you expect me to do sit there and twiddle my thumbs?" Ophelia couldn't help but ask, she moved towards LeRoy feeling her temper flare at being accused of something like this. Darius turned and placed a soft hand on her upper arm. "Reeds." He said looking up at her meaningfully. Ophelia sighed softly and moved back feeling frustrated.

Ophelia glanced at Darius before looking away, he could take lead on this if he wanted. Ophelia was too tired at this point to deal with this nonsense. Ophelia felt a gentle squeeze on her arm from Darius and looked over just as he spoke up. "Lawrence I think I'll be fine." Darius spoke firmly, LeRoy looked between the two of them looking confused. "Alright..." He spoke giving Ophelia a suspicious glare, Ophelia furrowed her brows but remained silent. Darius glanced at her briefly before looking back at LeRoy. "Is that all?" He asked calmly, "Yeah." LeRoy replied his eyes not leaving Ophelia.

The two alphas were locked in a heated glaring match until Darius turned Ophelia around and began leading her back towards the smoldering remains of the camp. Dozens of tents were burned to the ground leaving nothing more than a pile of ash and soot. The choking scent of smoke lingered in the air, Ophelia heard Darius clear his throat a couple of times as he lead her through the camp. Ophelia glanced down at his hands which had an iron clad grip on her arm. It was clear she wasn't going anywhere Darius didn't want her to right now. Not that Ophelia minded of course. Right now there was no other place she'd rather be than right beside Darius.