Chapter 23

Content Warning: Discussion of attempted sexual assault

Despite Darius's best efforts, the rabbit was ruined, smoking, and charred the two of them stared down at what was supposed to be their breakfast. "It took me two hours to capture that little prick!" Darius swore furious it had been ruined. 

Two hours? Ophelia perked up upon hearing that information, she glanced outside and noticed the sun was not that high. How long had he been up? Darius grumbled to himself cleaning up the mess and Ophelia watched feeling her cheeks burning. He was trying so hard... It was adorable.

Darius noticed her staring and looked over at her. "What's with the look Reeds?" he asked with a haughty tone, Ophelia winced and sighed feeling a bit annoyed she got caught. "Nothing commander." She replied keeping a stoic look on her face. 

Darius stared at her suspiciously before clearly deciding to let it go. "Well breakfast is a bust. We could go hunting again. But honestly, I wanted to start heading back towards camp by now." He sighed wiping his hands on his pants. "Do you know the way back?" Ophelia asked glancing outside just beyond Darius. To be honest she was clueless about where they were, without familiar landmarks she wasn't able to figure out how to get back to camp. 

"Of course, why do you think I always lead the march? I have a great sense of direction." Darius said proudly even going so far as to pat himself proudly on the chest. After doing so he then reached into his pocket. "It also helps to have a compass." He said holding up the tool with a grin. Ophelia smiled, "I bet it does." She agreed. "So unless you have any other things you want to do..." Darius hinted heavily giving Ophelia a coy look. 

"I'll start packing." Ophelia ignored him, "Reeds!" Darius complained, "We'll spend some time alone together when you're better." Ophelia replied, "When will that be?" Darius huffed walking right behind her. Ophelia turned on her heel and Darius ran into her. Taking advantage of the moment she pulled him close and leaned down. "When you're better commander." She spoke softly into her ear.

"I'd feel awful if I hurt you," Ophelia explained, Darius placed his hands on her arms and sighed loudly. "I know..." He huffed, and he then grabbed Ophelia's face. "You're such a baby Reeds." He spoke affectionately, "Yes I'm very sensitive. Delicate even." Ophelia deadpanned, Darius, smiled gently at her, "When I get better... You're not leaving my tent for a couple of days." He threatened Ophelia should've been bothered by such a threat but with a beautiful smile like that on his lips. Ophelia couldn't find it in her to care, "I'm looking forward to that." She responded leaning forward and kissing Darius's lips briefly.

They pulled away from each other slowly, Darius let out a long sigh. "If the others knew I was treating this like a date they'd be upset." He remarked, "Well they should make it so you have more free time." Ophelia encouraged Darius grinned at her hearing this. "You know I'm starting to warm up to this empress scheme you have in mind." He joked, "Especially if you're on my side like this." He added with a chuckle. "I have ulterior motives to be on your side." Ophelia replied frankly, "Oh? What's that?" Darius questioned, "Your pretty face." Ophelia replied solemnly, laughter bubbled from Darius before he clung to her wincing it seemed like the pain made his knees buckle. "Ah fuck!" he whined.

"Commander..." Ophelia instantly felt guilt rocket through her veins, "It's fine, Reeds..." Darius breathed, "You have to be careful doing that..." He huffed, and Ophelia scooped him in her arms. "I feel awful," Ophelia mumbled, she hadn't meant to make him laugh so hard. "I know." Darius let out a slow breath wrapping his arms around her neck as he leaned against her. "I feel awful I have to admit you're right." Darius huffed, "We have to wait until I'm better." Darius grumbled annoyed.

"How wise of you commander." Ophelia remarked sarcastically, "Don't patronize me Reeds." Darius retorted with a pout. With that, they got packed and left the cave together. Darius, surprisingly asked for Reeds to carry him on her back. "You must be in a lot of pain," Ophelia observed as she carried him on her back. The sun was high in the sky and the ground was wet. For Darius, it would be difficult to walk especially in pain. "I am." Darius confessed, "Can you check to see if you're bleeding?" Ophelia questioned as she walked, "I did earlier." Darius spoke resting his chin on her shoulder.