Chapter 36

"Do alpha women really get treated like that?" He asked, Ophelia noticed the disturbed look and sighed. "Yeah." She replied quietly, Spencer's brows furrowed and he pursed his lips before letting out a puff of air. "This might be ignorant of me but..." He trailed off looking down for a moment, "Why do you think that is?" He asked Ophelia let out a long breath.

"It's a bit ignorant." She informed him, "Oh, I'm sorry." Spencer instantly apologized, he was always sensitive about that sort of thing. Even when Philips decided he wanted to be called a different name Spencer was always sure to make sure everyone called him the name he wanted. "It's fine Spade." Ophelia stretched her legs out in front of her.

She stared at the fire for a moment before looking back to Spencer's curious face. She clicked her tongue for the second time, "Lots of reasons." She added after a moment, "But most of the time it's because someone they trust convinced them. That could be family with bad experiences, a friend, a church leader..." Ophelia trailed off, she had to be careful talking poorly about the church in the middle of the camp, she really didn't want to deal with verbal spats about religion right now.

"People are easily influenced by words of warning. It keeps them from getting hurt, no one likes to be hurt so they'll listen to whoever is pointing out something 'dangerous' all to protect themselves or people they care about." Ophelia explained. Spencer was silent for a long time mulling over her words, "You know, you're really good at talking." He observed, "It's a recent development, I'm trying to find my other talents." Ophelia replied with a joking tone. 

"I feel like I'm missing context." Spencer remarked, Ophelia chuckled in response, "Don't worry about it." She stretched her arms a bit. "Well talking like that will make you wooing an omega much easier." Spencer joked, "Are you sure you're not interested in a beta woman?" He asked, "I'm not interested in women." Ophelia replied casually as she grabbed her cantine taking a sip out of it. "Never really struck my fancy." She screwed the top of her cantine back on, "Also I'd be less likely to be killed or accused if I only chased after men." Ophelia added.

"Killed?!" Spencer asked concerned, "Oh right I talked to Hart about that not you." Ophelia flatly remarked, "What the hell did you talk about?" Spencer looked stressed once again, "Nothing really, just that I've had alpha and beta men try to kill me since I was fifteen. You know normal stuff." Ophelia was clueless as to why Spencer was stressed out. She saw his eye twitch, he then leaned back and let out a long sigh putting his head between his knees. "That... Actually explains a lot." He mumbled, he then sat up, "That's not normal." He pointed at Ophelia.

Ophelia sat up, "It's not? All the girls I knew growing up had to deal with the same thing." Ophelia creased her brows together not quite believing Spencer. The commanding officer look like he was at a loss for words. "What?" He asked breathlessly. "Yeah, I had to deal with it a bit more cause a lot of omegas and women really like how tall I am," Ophelia added. Spencer looked sick, "That's it, you're not allowed to go off on your own while we're in a village!" Spencer declared looking nauseous.

"Why would I want to go off on my own?" Ophelia asked, Spencer narrowed his eyes, "You tend to wander Ophelia." He deadpanned, "I don't know what you're talking about." Ophelia replied indignantly, "Okay, what were you doing for so long out in the forest with the commander? It normally doesn't take that long for you to cut down a few trees." Spencer asked pointedly. Ophelia stared directly into Spencer's eyes, "I wandered off." She lied instantly. "Point proven." Spencer looked smug.

It was so damn tempting to let him know what she was really doing but... Ophelia wanted to wait a little longer. No point in advertising the relationship if Darius wasn't as serious as her. It would just complicate things more later on.

"So yeah you're not allowed to be by yourself when we're in the next village, knowing you, you'd probably end up wandering off and ruining a wedding or something," Spencer spoke with a huff, Ophelia smirked, "Well if you're going to speak it to life..." "Ophelia!" Spencer instantly scolded. "Fine. Fine. I'll be good." Ophelia sighed waving Spencer off.