Chapter 53

Ophelia stretched out across the bedroll holding the pillow under her head close, Darius seemed to watch her out of the corner of his eye amused. He fastened the bags closed quietly after packing everything away, sitting there for a moment he looked over to Ophelia. They didn't say anything, Ophelia shifted reaching her hand out to Darius which he took holding it for a while. Their fingers were interlaced together, Ophelia felt Darius give her hand a firm squeeze as he stared at the entrance of the tent quietly.

"Reeds," His voice broke the silence, "Yes?" Ophelia asked curiously, Darius turned and looked at her giving her a soft smile. "Reeds." He called again, "Yes commander?" Ophelia asked feeling confused, she wasn't sure if Darius was actually wanting something from her. Or... If he just wanted to hear her voice. Judging by the look on his face, Ophelia was starting to think the latter was true. Deciding to test it, she spoke up, "Commander." Ophelia called back. Darius smiled looking pleased, it seemed she was right, "What is it Reeds?" He asked. The two of them squeezed each other's hands as they stared at each other, almost as if there was a silent message of 'I missed you.' Unspoken between the two of them.

The two of them settled in for the night after Darius lowered the light of the oil lamps in the tent. In the dark, Ophelia felt the omega expertly move into her arms, as if he never needed the light to know exactly where she was. Ophelia welcomed Darius with opened arms wrapping them around the omega tightly. The smaller man let out a soft breath almost sounding like one of relief as he moved close. 

Ophelia rested her chin on top of Darius's head, she was just about to close her eyes when she then heard in the dark, Darius say. "I miss our bed." He complained. Ophelia sighed, "I do too." She spoke up, "But..." She added, "As long as you're in my arms. I don't care where I have to sleep." She confessed, she felt from the arm that had wrapped around her, Darius's fingers clutching her shirt into a ball. Darius's leg moved onto her hip and hooked behind her knee wrapping their legs together.

Ophelia smiled knowing that despite she not getting a response, Darius felt the same. She closed her eyes slowly, finding that finally she felt safe... Finally she felt like she was home. It was an unfamiliar feeling for Ophelia, but, now that she knew what it felt like. She wasn't sure she'd be able to go on the rest of her life without it.

The following morning was slow, vaguely as Ophelia awoke she heard the sounds of other soldiers working in the camp. Orders were being shouted by officers and the other generals. She heard things moving around as her eyes fully opened. Normally, she'd be getting up to join them by now. But Ophelia considered the position she was in... It seemed like it wouldn't be possible at the moment.

It seemed that at some point during the night, Ophelia had turned over holding Darius in a tight embrace. The omega was trapped between her and the wall of the tent. His bedroll that he had laid out beside hers being completely unused because of this. But despite that, he seemed unbothered by the predicament. Darius's leg rested around her waist under her arm and he curled up tightly around her head holding her there with his face buried in her hair. Whereas Ophelia's face was buried in Darius's stomach, she had shifted only slightly to get comfortable and a low purr rumbled out of the omega. She felt her ears tingle softly hearing the sweet noise come out of the omega.

Ophelia squirmed a bit managing to tilt her head to where she could see Darius's face, half opened purple eyes met her gaze as he purred a bit louder still looking half asleep. "Good morning." Ophelia greeted, Darius closed his eyes and opened them again looking at her. "Morning." He mumbled softly, "It's past six." Ophelia could tell by the sounds outside she even heard Lionel's loud voice in the distance. Normally, like her Darius would be up by now. In fact usually Darius was the one to wake her up, always talking about what his plans were for the day.