Diving

-Emma-
The interrogations that Bucky has had to sit through have been heart wrenching for everyone, seeing Bucky have to break down someone that was in his life since childhood, technically.
We decided to keep a lid on what we know about Hydra Supreme. Bucky said that he wants to get as much information and character behaviors from this Steve as he can before he drops the hammer on him. It makes sense, but it is taking some time. Steve, as everyone said, has always been stubborn and set in his ways, so it is going to be difficult to get answers out of him.
Buck comes out of the interrogation room one day looking exhausted. He hasn't been sleeping much since our argument in the hallway, and I even woke up to see him getting paperwork and things ready for James in case something happens.
"Hey, let's go get you some food," I say and greet him with a bottle of water.
"Where's James," he asks worried.
"Cassie has him in his bedroom, she's playing with him and showing him some fun stuff," I smile and show him through the baby monitor.
"Is the apartment locked up," he asks.
"Yes, Bucky. They are safe," I say softly. I chew on the inside of my lip quietly and hand him the monitor.
"Good," he says and takes the monitor and walks off towards the kitchen, leaving me behind.
Bucky has been like this for a few days. Everything is revolving around James being safe, and I'm glad for it, but he questions every move I make regarding him and it makes me feel small.
I decide to just go to the apartment and relieve Cassie of James duty. When I get into the apartment, I hear Cassie playing and giggling with James, showing him a toy that we got for him that is supposed to help with color recognition. Bucky thought it was too early for that kind of thing, but James is showing off Bucky's amazing brain skills and I want to encourage it.
"Hey Cassie, how's he doing," I ask smiling.
"Your kid is crazy smart, and he loves the color blue," she smiles softly and tickles him.
"He's got Bucky's smarts," I say and I sit crisscross on the floor with them. James is rolling a bit on the floor and looking up at Cassie happily.
"He really likes you, thank you so much for helping Bucky and I."
"Of course, Emma, I love spending time with him," she says happily.
"You're relieved for the day if you have homework you need to take care of, I'll call you again if I need your help," I smile at her.
"You got it, Emma. You okay?"
"Yeah there's just so much going on right now," I say and smile softly at her.
"I understand. Take care of yourself okay?"
"I will Cassie, you too please," I say as Cassie waves and leaves the apartment.
I pick up James and just talk to him and rock him gently and sit in the rocking chair in the corner, hoping that he will go to sleep and just sleep through all of the craziness going on around him.
After awhile, Buck walks into the apartment and peeks into the nursery, looking a little pissed.
"Where have you been, I turned around and you weren't there. I've been looking all over for you."
"How far did you get before you realized I wasn't behind you," I ask shortly. Bucky goes to speak but doesn't say anything, his mouth just hanging open slightly.
"I'm sorry Emma."
"You know...I get that you're worried and that Hydra is fucking terrible, but you can't keep shutting me out or questioning me when it comes to our son. I may be a first time mom, but I don't think I'm doing that bad of a job."
"I never said that you were, I just..."
"You keep treating everything I do with James like you are making sure I'm doing it the way you want me to..."
Bucky comes over and kneels in front of me, "I know...and I'm so sorry. I just am scared and don't know how to handle any of this. You two mean the world to me and I will do anything to keep you safe."
"Then stop acting like you're alone in this. We are partners, in work and in life and relationship."
"Please forgive me, Emma. I'm so sorry."
"I forgive you Bucky, let's just get this figured out."
"Yes ma'am," he says and kisses me deeply. We get James laid down for his nap and then we head back down to the conference room to figure out how we can really press Steve about what is going on.

The next day is Bucky really wanting to go hard on Steve. He was able to come up with a line of questioning that might get Steve to say something about what he is doing here. And it involves Sharon going in instead of Bucky.
"You want me to what??"
"We want you to go into the interrogation room. Pretend like you broke into the compound while we are away and are needing to know the next steps of Hydra's planning. We think because he didn't know you were defecting that he would open up to you," Bucky says to Sharon, breaking down some of the things he wants her to say when she goes in.
"Do you really think this will work?"
"I do. If you two were as close as you say, we think he will crack," I say softly.
"And you guys will be watching right? Making sure that he won't hurt me?"
"We will. Just keep your end of things and we will keep ours," Hill says to her. Sharon nods and Hill takes off her cuffs.
"We are going to shut down the power for a moment, make it look like you broke in and cut the power. Then you'll be able to go in and make it look like part of the plan was to sneak in and get information for the next steps from him, but that you had to leave him there to make it look like he doesn't know anything still," Bucky says as he lets Bruce know to shut the power down for about five minutes.
The entire compound goes dark, making me anxious and I grab onto Bucky's arm. We all except for Hill and Sharon go into an observation room to wait for what will happen.
Through the two-way mirror, we see Sharon open the interrogation room door looking frantic as Steve is trying to figure out what happened.
"Sharon? What the hell is going on??"
"I broke in. The team is gone on a mission and I needed to get information from you."
"Where the fuck have you been?? I haven't heard shit from you and this plan is getting ready to go off the rails if I don't get out of here!"
"Shut up and listen damnit. The team thinks that you're their Steve that went to the past to live his life. Right now we need to keep playing that con so that the rest of us can get the drop on them. What were the next steps in your side of the plan."
Steve sighs and looks at her angrily.
"My team is supposed to be coming to infiltrate the compound. I was supposed to give them a way in but these Avengers are not as stupid and trusting as I hoped them to be. Despite me getting taken, the assault team will be here soon. I told them to take it by any means necessary. They still want the Barnes' though."
"Why?"
"Some sort of contingency plan. Sitwell wouldn't tell me, only that I wasn't supposed to be the only super soldier heading Hydra."
"What is supposed to happen after the compound is taken?"
"They take the Barnes' kill the rest, and then the devices that brought us here are going to be bringing more operatives from different realities. I don't really understand how it works, but Hydra will become the authority across all realities. At least that's the plan," Steve says with an evil grin that sends shivers down my spine. That is not the type of look Steve Rogers would have, and it is scaring me. Everything he said to Sharon is scaring me.
I look up at Bucky and he is having a panic attack in front of me and I try to calm him down.
"Thanks for the tip. Hang tight and I'll get the team moving Steve," Sharon says and leaves the interrogation room quickly. Hill gets her back to her cell as Bucky unravels in front of me.
"Bucky come on, we have some shit to take care of," I say as I pull him out of the observation room, pulling him by the arm. He is too stunned to speak and he looks like he's going to pop a blood vessel.
"Bucky now! Let's go," I shout and he finally follows me out of the room, Hope behind him. I grab him by his face and try to pull him out of his shock.
"Bucky, look at me now," I say and he finally lets his eyes meet mine. He is scared and sad and angry all at the same time and I can't say that I blame him, because I am too.
"Emma what the hell is going on," he breathes out shakily.
"Right now we need to get the kids out of the compound and to a safe location, because if we don't now and Hydra comes here they are going to get caught in the crossfire. Do you hear me?"
Bucky nods and suddenly he is jumping into action, telling Hope and Scott to get Cassie ready to leave and to hang onto James for us so that we can get things ready to go for him.
"Hope make sure everyone is geared up. I don't know what's going to happen and if Steve is here then that means Hydra can't be far behind. I really don't want to draw them here so see if Hill can help us figure a way to get him escorted out of here," he says and grabs my hand, pulling me along to our apartment. Hope runs off quickly to go tell the rest of the team what is going on.
Bucky pushes me into our room hurriedly and starts gathering things up for James and getting into his gear at the same time.
"Bucky slow down a bit, you're going to make yourself sick," I say worried.
"Emma I can't, if that bastard..."
"He won't, but you need to keep your cool and focus okay? Being panicked is not going to help anyone or anything right now, Bucky," I say and grab his face, trying to get him to focus on me. He is breathing heavily and looking down at me as I hold his face, and suddenly his lips are crashing into mine. I hold onto him tight as he does, letting him pick me up and slam me into a wall.
We are a mess of clicking teeth and moaning as we try to relieve some stress and panic of what's going on. I hear and feel Bucky unzip our pants and push them down as he pushes into me hard. I cry out loudly as he goes hard and fast inside me. I move with him hard and eager too, clinging to him tight with my legs wrapped around him.
"B-Bucky," I whimper and knot my fingers in his hair and pull a little. Bucky in groaning loudly and squeezing me a little too tight, making me gasp for air. We both get to our orgasms quickly, not having much self control right now as we hold onto one another.
"I...I'm sorry Emma," Bucky says shaking. "I couldn't...I needed..."
"It's okay Buck...me too," I say and tear up.
He wraps his arms around me and kisses the top of my head.
"I don't want to send him away again."
"I don't either, but this is huge Bucky. One of the world's most powerful men is Hydra. Whether he's from our reality or not, he's here and we don't know the kind of damage he can do. I know this will be hard on you but we have to fight this together," I say and look up at him, running my fingers through his hair.
"You're right...fuck. We can't seem to get a break can we?"
"We will one day, and it will all have been worth it. I promise."
The two of us get changed into our gear and grab some important things we need for a fight ahead. I pack James' things again, feeling angry but not about to get lost in it, my family and friends need us all to be sharp and ready. I make sure to tuck my dog tags into my suit and I look over at Bucky doing the same thing, looking lost in thought. I come over and rub his back gently. He turns and takes me by the wrists and looks at me seriously, a slight frown to him.
"We stick together, no matter what. Do you understand me?"
"Yes Bucky, we do."
"I mean it Emma, this isn't a game."
"Bucky I know. We stick together, we fight together, and we live together."
"Forever and a day."
"Forever and a day," I say softly as Bucky kisses my hands and then kisses my lips hard. I wrap my arms around his neck as he pulls me closer to him eagerly. His hands take my face a little roughly, like he is trying to fight demons to keep me close to him. There's a knock on the door as we are standing like this, scared of what's going to come next.
I open the door and see Hope standing there.
"Happy and Peter are here to pick up Cassie and James. Hill is sending Kate and a few agents too just in case," she says. Bucky and I nod and grab James' stuff and hurry down. Cassie is standing there by the door holding a sleeping James, rocking him gently. She is so good with him, it's amazing and it is so cute.
"Thank you so much for all your help with James, Cassie, it means a lot to Emma and I," Bucky says and smiles softly. Cassie smiles back but she looks scared.
"I don't mind, it's like having a little brother of my own, I love him," she says and looks up at Bucky with tears in her eyes. She is such a sweetheart and a smart girl. Bucky wraps her and James in a hug and kisses the top of her head, which sort of surprises me.
Bucky has changed so much since we have had James, there's more of a softness to him when he needs to have it and the interactions he has had with kids has been adorable to see.
Cassie hugs Scott and Hope too while Happy and Peter get their things in the trunk of the car.
Bucky and I say goodbye to James and shower him in kisses before they get in the car and take off. This fucking sucks so much and I can tell Bucky is having as hard a time as I am, if not more. A man that looks like his childhood friend is a Hydra leader and agent currently locked up in our cell block.
We all watch the car drive off until it is completely out of sight, Bucky interlocking his fingers with mine tight and taking a deep breath.
"Let's get to work you guys," Clint says and we all head back inside to get started.
"That sonofabitch in there better have vibranium cuffs on," Bucky says as we walk back inside.
"Oh we made sure to get that covered," Yelena says crossing her arms in front of her chest. My mind wanders a little as we are trying to figure out a plan.
"Hey, how did you guys say Steve showed up here," I ask.
"He came in a car he said he rented in the city. It's in the garage, but we couldn't find any indicators of it being a rental when we searched it," Scott says.
"I'm going to go check it out," I say and I go to leave, but Bucky doesn't let go of me, he just starts to follow me to the garage. I smile at him softly and we go in and see a black Chevy Cruise sitting booted in the corner of the garage. I start to make my way all around it, looking carefully under the vehicle too.
"Emma what are you looking for?"
"I'm trying to see if anything was left behind that shouldn't have been," I say as I open the door of the driver's seat and get in, leaving the door open. Bucky kneels next to me as I am looking over the dashboard.
"Baby can you get me a flathead screwdriver," I ask Bucky as I am looking at the the dash screen. Bucky leaves real quick and finds me one then hands it to me. I wedge the end in between dark of the plastic and the little screen, giving the end of the handle a hard smack.
The screen pops out and clatters into the center console. I flip it over and examine it carefully, not finding anything. I grab a flashlight and look through the opening I made.
As I am digging through it, my hand hits something that is not supposed to be there and I look at Bucky as I grab hold of it. I pull it out carefully and realize it's a tracker. They know where we are but they aren't striking.
"Jesus fucking Christ," Bucky says scared and looks at me. I sigh and let go of the device so that it is just hanging from wires out of the opening.
"Bucky we need to get this thing out of here. We don't know where they are and what's going to happen if they get here," I say softly tearing up as I look at him. Bucky looks at me and rubs my cheek softly, putting his forehead against mine.
"What's the plan Lieutenant," he asks looking at me, angry and concerned and scared.
"I'm going to get the boot off. Can you get Steve out of his cell without the team seeing you? We are going to have to drive him out of here."
"Yeah, doll I'll take care of it and be back in five minutes," he says and grabs my face, kissing me hard. He pushes the button for his arm and turns off the sensors then we get our earpieces in, not turning them on just yet though.
"Five minutes, Sergeant," I say and get to work taking the boot off the car as Bucky runs off back into the compound. Once I have the boot off, I find the keys and make sure my weapons are all loaded and I have extra ammo. I do the same for Bucky and get his guns ready for him. I find a piece of paper and a pen and write out a note that makes me feel dread and sadness as I write it out.
As I am finishing up, Bucky is running in with an unconscious and gagged Steve with vibranium handcuffs over his shoulder. Steve had his face punched hard, and not surprisingly looks like he will be out for a bit.He opens the back seat of the car and locks him in so that the handcuffs are locked into a bar under the back seat.
Bucky gets the door shut and looks at me, breathing heavily and looking like he's got something to say. His hands cup my face, almost overtaking both sides of my head as he does. His eyes well up and he lets a few tears spill over as he just stares at me, making me shed a few of my own.
"No matter what happens Emma, I love you," he says and kisses me long and passionately, his tongue moving over my lips softly as he does.
"I love you forever and a day Bucky. I wrote a note for the team, if you want to look it over before we leave," I say softly. Bucky nods and goes to the table. I see him write something else on it and he comes back and takes the keys from my hand.
"Do you have your phone," he asks. I hand mine to him and he sets both of our phones with the note. We climb into the car and take off out of the garage as quickly as we can.
Once we are on the road, we have no idea where we are going, we just know we have to get as far away from the compound as possible. Bucky is clutching the steering wheel with his vibranium hand and is clutching my hand tight with the other.
We are quiet as we drive, starting to head into the city and through the city streets, taking our time and just seeing how far we can get in the next few hours.
As we are driving, the tracking device starts to release a slow blinking red light. Bucky and I look at each other knowingly and keep driving normally until we see we are being followed.
Bucky starts to speed now, weaving in and out of traffic to lose the car behind us. We end up in the middle of a high speed chance, trying to lose the car in a mess of harsh turns and traffic areas through the city.
We end up in the industrial district near the docks, the car close behind us and starting to ram into the back bumper hard like they were going top speed.
"Fuck," Bucky yells and we lurch forward in our seats. I gasp and my face slams into the dash hard, making me see spots for a moment then blood starts to pour from my nose. I look over at Bucky and he is breathing heavily and staring straight ahead as the dock is getting ready to end. My eyes go wide and I know what he is getting ready to do. I tear up hard and sob lightly. Steve starts to stir in the back floorboard of the car and is trying to get free of his restraints.
Bucky takes my hand quietly and interlaces his fingers with mine tight before I start to hear the car engine pushing us faster. Bucky gets the car up to 106 miles per hour before we break past the fencing and fly out into the Hudson River. The last thing I see and know before the impact of the car hitting the water is Bucky squeezing my hand and looking at me like I'm the last person in existence.