Chapter 4: This might go wrong

Hiccups POV

"This might go wrong you know." Astrid said to me as we walked toward the kill arena. She was right. This could go wrong.

"Or maybe it could go horribly right?" I ask. She lets out a laugh and then looks at me again. I have my helmet on. My dad had put it on my head and said it would be good luck. I was sure that my head had the mark from where my dad had practically slammed it on my head.

As we reached the arena, I hear my dad's speech. For once in my life he was proud of me. No. I thought. He's proud of you for being something your not. I was standing in front of the gate to the kill ring, and Astrid said to me, "Hey, don't die. I like having a friend again." I smile.

Then the kill ring's gate opens.

My smile falls as I walk in. I head to the weapons arrangement and I select a dagger and a shield. I hear the roaring of the crowd around me, screaming my name. I see my father turn and say something to Gobber. Then, I hear my dad say, "OPEN THE GATES!" his voice commanding. I watch as one of the biggest dragon cages shudder open and a Monstrous Nightmare run right out on its claws. Flames lick his body and a shiver runs down my spine, despite the dragon that was on fire in front of me. His eyes dart around looking for an escape route. After he finds none, his eyes land on me.

Astrid's POV

Oh no. I watch as the Nightmare sets its sights on Hiccup. The dragon is going to kill him. We should have left when we could. I watch as the Nightmare sets its sights on Hiccup. I watch as Hiccup backs up, and the Nightmare presses on to him. (A/N remember the scene? I do. Back to the story now.) he lets go and throws his shield to the other side of the arena, as well as his dagger. Then when Hiccup and the Nightmare stop and he reaches his hand up to his helmet. All this time Chief Stoick has been shouting telling them to stop the fight. Hiccup then grabs the horns of his helmet, then without a second thought he throws the helmet halfway across the arena. Then says, "I'm not one of them."

"STOP THE FIGHT!" Stoick shouts, probably confused about what his son was doing.

"No!" Hiccup shouts back. "I need you all to see this." He reaches his hand out inches from the Nightmares snout and looks away. The Nightmare is about to press its nose up against Hiccup's hand, when...

Stoick shouts again "I SAID STOP THE FIGHT!" This time banging his hammer up against the kill ring's bars. The Nightmare is spooked by this action and breathes out fire, barely missing Hiccup.

"Hiccup!" I shout. I wedge my axe in the door to the gate and slip under the gate. I can't hurt the dragon, but I need to get Hiccup out. I run straight up to Hiccup and while a blast of fire is hurtling towards Hiccup. I dive for him and grab him pulling him down. I then hear a familiar screech that I thank the gods for.

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE BAM!

I pull my head down as Toothless blasts the dome open and attacks the Nightmare, me and Hiccup stand up but immediately get knocked down by Stoick covering us. "NIGHTFURY! GET DOWN!" he roars.

Me and Hiccup slip out from under him and I hear him say, "This went wrong."

"We knew this might go wrong Hiccup." I say to him as we duck.

"Yea but we didn't think it would go this bad!" He says to me as we run and press our backs up against the weapon board. I peeked out and I saw the 'Toothless V.S Monstrous Nightmare' battle had ended. I saw that the other dragon cage doors were shaking.

I look at hiccup and I say, "we need to free those dragons." He nods and my mind races. Deadly Nadder, Gronkle, Zippleback, and Monstrous Nightmare. The Nightmare was already free, hence the flaming figure flying out of the hole in the dome, 3 dragons, 2 of us. Toothless was battling some Vikings so I said, "You go and get yourself on Toothless, they won't kill him if you're on him. They'll be too confused. I'll get the dragons." Hiccup hesitantly nods then hands me something.