Chapter Thirty-four: Wedding Bells.

There is something ethereal about weddings. I have a clear view of my perfect wedding; if you could hire a groom for a day, that is. It would be a perfectly sunny day because sunshine reflects joy. The wedding would be set out on a garden complete with large floral arrangements and the most elaborate arch. Everything would be white save for the dash of colour in the decorations. And I would walk down the isle with a humongous bouquet of wild flowers. It would be perfect and as soon as the reception was over I'd go home to a tub of ice cream and movies, alone. My perfect wedding.

Sheila thought that was a terrible idea for a wedding and insisted that the best part of a wedding day is the wedding night. (Of course she would think that seeing as she was getting married to the love of her life.) I, on the other hand, held that the best part of a wedding would be the ceremony and then not having to see each other ever again. For this reason, we had gotten into a dozen fights this past week leading up to the wedding. I had offered to be the getaway driver in case Sheila decided to play runaway bride. She whacked me on the head for that last statement. I didn't rescind my offer just yet.

On the morning of the wedding I woke up early. It was my best friend's wedding and was her best maid. I would need to help her into her tighter than tight dress. Just getting the buttons done would take up to half an hour. I didn't imagine it would be that fun to get out of the gown later on. For someone who was so eager for her wedding night, she did not make a very good choice in her dress. After she was dressed, I couldn't help but see why she picked this particularly troublesome gown. She looked like an angel, complete with a dazzling glow to her. I almost cried my happy tears then.

I don't think there ever was a bride as beautiful as Sheila or a groom as excited as Titus. I don't imagine there was ever a love so clear to see. I stood next to Sheila for the whole ceremony and with every teary smile she gave I felt my heart quiver. I do not think in my life I ever wanted something so passionately. I never once loved something so much that it would make me tear up to get exactly what I wanted. And so as I witnessed my best friend's wedding, I felt a little more than a ghost, barely there.

For the first time in my life, I didn't think the wedding vows were empty meaningless words. The conviction that Sheila spoke them soon after Titus did made my heart break a little. I would never hear such words said to me, and I would never say them back. I was okay with that. And I was so glad that one of my most favourite people in the world got to live her dream, her perfect wedding, to the man who loved her more than he loved himself.

I did not realise that I was crying until it was time to sign as witness on the marriage certificate. My vision was blurry and my hands were shaky. I couldn't believe that I was tearing up in a wedding, like one of those crazy brides as I used to think of them. I would have died of embarrassment if Sheila hadn't squeezed my arm in reassurance. Her little teasing smile was enough to make the tension leave my body. I wasn't going to be ashamed of my joy for my friend, never. And I signed proudly and wiped my tears away.

The wedding reception was held in a ballroom. After eating to our hearts content, we danced until our feet ached. At least my feet ached but that might be because I rarely danced, and in high heels at that. I had never thought I would enjoy dancing but after finding myself a handsome stranger to dance with it wasn't too bad. I almost felt like Cinderella as I was twirled and spun around on the dancefloor. And when the clock metaphorically struck midnight I would get to disappear. I would savour the memories secretly.

A long way into the evening, I delivered my speech. I made quite a few people laugh but I made even more tear up. As I spoke fondly of my best friend, I noticed a change in the people around me. Some of them had still held reservations about this union but witnessing this day for themselves, they couldn't help acknowledge what a wonderful match it was. I had made a speech to alleviate any remaining doubts anyone could have about the character of the bride and groom. As I read from my colourful writing pad, I told their story through my eyes. And I spoke from my heart winning over a good number of hearts. I hoped they would remember, after the day was over, to give their love to the newly weds.

As the best maid I had a lot of things to do and collecting gifts took up quite a lot of time. It was evening and I was tired. I just wanted to get it over with so I could go home and kick up my feet. I had tons of help from the other bridesmaids and the groomsmen. We loaded them into one of the cars from the wedding convoy as the guests left. They would be taken to Titus' house to be stored for when the couple would return from their honeymoon.

Titus and Sheila wore a matching pair of smiles and their hands had remained linked all afternoon. They climbed into their car and drove away. The cans and decorations trailed on the ground and a huge sign on the back read, "Newly Married". I couldn't help smile wistfully as I watched them drive off into the sunset. It was both poetic and cliche and I felt lucky to be there to see them ride off into their happily ever after.