04, Fix It

───────── ౨ৎ ─────────

❝ 04 , fix it ❞

It was a quiet evening on 35 Portland Row. George had been reading in his room for most of the day. Demi was in the library, finding herself lost in a book for the first time in a long time. When she finally lifted her head out of her book, she had seen George rush down to the kitchen for a snack.

She was sitting sideways on the armchair across from Anthony. Her feet dangled over the arm, dangerously close to the circular table that sat between the two. The table had their long abandoned mugs of tea (for Lockwood) and hot chocolate (for Demi). The two of them had been sitting in comfortable silence for hours.

Demi was quick to return to her book after she met Anthony's gaze and gave him an amused smile. It was held above her head as she read. But the position was quickly making her arms numb so she eventually dropped the book against her chest and closed her eyes. The exhaustion was heavy in her bones this late in the evening. The natural lull in her energy levels was coming around quickly and she knew that it would be time for bed sooner rather than later.

But she didn't want to sleep yet. She opened her eyes and her head tilted as she watched Anthony for a few minutes. Lockwood had been sitting in the other armchair just as long as Demi had. He was reading the gossip columns. It was his way to unwind which Demi did her best not to judge. But it was amusing to her. He was an arrogant prick and he hated society with a burning passion yet he still read about what all the rich did. It was cute.

She slid further down into the armchair. Her gaze moved from the boy in the chair to the ceiling and she let her eyes fall closed. She told herself that she was only resting her eyes but the better part of her knew that she would fall asleep like this if Lockwood let her.

But before she could get truly comfortable, she heard footsteps on the stairs outside the room. The familiar creak which meant George was coming up from the kitchen. Then she felt a sudden heavy weight on her stomach and the wind was knocked out of her, breath rushing out of her cheeks.

"George!" Lockwood exclaimed as Demi's eyes snapped open. The object had knocked against Demi's legs before landing on her stomach and probably left a bruise, "What are you playing at?"

"Fix it." Demi looked at the object which turned out to be the toaster before she looked up at George. He had dropped the toaster onto her stomach. She glared at him, "I wanted toast but it stopped working, again." The hangry annoyed look in his eyes was hard to ignore and the way he ground out the last word made it clear that this conversation was going to end well.

So, rather than arguing, Demi stood up. She brushed the crumbs that had skittered across her t-shirt to the floor - much to Anthony's dismay - before she followed George back down to the kitchen.