chapter thirty

━━ CHAPTER THIRTY / the casketepisode four, part four

episode four, part four.

Everything promptly went downhill after Saunders informed the four that they would be the only ones going anywhere near the grave. They were there to secure the Source, alone. It was unsurprising considering what had just happened outside but it didn't make Demi any less nervous. The anxiety came back in a sickening wave and she did her best to mask it with a hesitant smile.

But everyone was feeling it. The worry. They were meant to be fearless and they were - most of the time - but it clearly bothered all of them. All four had their torches up as they approached the grave. It was out of the way of the Chapel but everyone was close enough that they would hopefully be able to hear them scream.

It was a messy site. The grave was only half-dug up, spades abandoned and soil spread haphazardly across the ground.

"They really did leave in a hurry," George said as they came to a stop a foot or so in front of the grave. Demi could already feel something was off. The feeling of nausea began to cling to the edges of her and the world didn't feel quite right. She could feel it in her eyes.

"Okay," Lockwood said softly as they all dropped their kitbags. There would be no time for tea with this one which is exactly why Demi had filled her back with prototypes rather than biscuits. Though, she wasn't exactly sure how helpful they would be, "Ready?" Lockwood asked as he glanced between the three. Demi nodded.

"As I'll ever be," She mumbled and they all switched their torches off, putting them in their work belt. The anxiety swelled in Demi's chest now that they were in the dark but it was fine. It was perfectly okay. Lockwood was standing right next to her. She would be fine. With a deep breath, she stepped forward and knelt down. Her rapier pressed into the dirt and she pushed her fingers beneath the disturbed soil.

Hoping that she could get some sort of image or flash. She tuned out the other three, their voices becoming muffled in her mind as she closed her eyes. The silence washed over her and then the buzzing started in her ears. It was loud, like a swarm of bees and she flinched away from it.

"There's no death glows. Nothing else visible," She heard Lockwood say over the noise. His voice was far away like her head had been pushed underwater, "Got anything?" It was somehow even quieter than before and then Demi heard it. The screaming and the flashes came quicker than she was used to. People, dressed in 19th-century clothes. All the faces were unfamiliar. She had no idea who they were. Then the screaming got louder and she flinched away. But she couldn't pull her hand out of the soil. It was like something had a grip on her arm and then Lockwood pulled her back from the grave.

Her head shot up and she met his concerned gaze. He held his hand out and she grabbed it. He pulled her to her feet and she glanced at the grave before looking between the rest of the group. They were waiting for her to speak.

"Whoever it is, they're evil," is all Demi said. It was hard to describe what she had seen because she was still trying to piece it together. And George didn't even want Demi here so if she had admitted to what she felt, he might have forced her to go home before anything happened. But she had to be here.