chapter twenty-eight

━━ CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT/ joplin and saundersepisode four, part two

episode four, part two.

The new clients were ushered into the front room quickly as Lockwood grabbed Lucy from the kitchen. There was something off with the brunette but Demi knew that she could ask later. Whatever it was would probably explain why she had passed out downstairs. However, clients took priority. They needed money and reputation badly.

So while George and Lucy took the sofa, opposite the two clients, Demi perched on the arm of the armchair that Lockwood had put himself on. He looked worse for wear considering none of them had had a real chance to clean up since wraith-hunting but the clients didn't seem to take notice. His arm rested on the sofa behind Demi's back, protecting her even from his lower position.

"I'm Sebastian Saunders and this is my partner, Pamela Joplin," Saunders began as he gestured towards the woman sitting down. Her face felt familiar but Demi wasn't sure why. It was a friendly face but there was a feeling of distrust. Demi didn't trust her, not that she dwelled on it. It was a job and they needed it.

"Business Partners," Joplin clarified. Her voice was soft while Saunders was almost abrasive. He looked his age, grey hair sloppily combed over in an attempt to disguise his hairline. His greasy appearance likely mirrored his practices, "We're Sweet Dreams excavations, maybe you've heard of us?" Joplin asked curiously. Demi glanced over at George and then Lockwood but neither seemed to react particularly to that name. She hadn't heard it either.

"You're gravediggers?" Lockwood asked curiously as he looked up at Saunders. He was standing, lording over all of them and grabbed something from his pocket.

"We prefer 'excavation and clearance'," He responded simply as he passed a card to Lockwood. There was no acknowledgement of Demi but she didn't really care. Instead, her gaze focused on the card and she tried to get the words to focus. But Lockwood had passed it away before she had a chance to read, "I'm sure you'll have seen the headlines, Mr Lockwood." A sigh escaped from the boy's lips. That was never a good thing, "After all the avoidable deaths, DEPRAC now requires the council to assess their cemeteries for risky plots. We're currently engaged in a major operation in Kensal Green Cemetery."

"But that's huge," George cut in before Saunders could get any further. It wasn't a compliment but Saunders was the kind of man to not realise that.

So, he simply replied, "Thank you." Saunders had sat down by now as he began to explain their process, "Pam, usually susses out the dodgy ones long before they present any serious danger. We dig for bones. She digs for stories." The way he described her job almost made it sound like a bad thing but Demi glossed over it. If they were coming to an Agency, then there must be something different going on. Not their typical dodgy graves that Sensitives or the Night Watch could deal with.

"I use burial records to look for traumatic cases of death likely to tip the odds for visitation. Suicides, murders, sudden tragedy. You never know when a spirit might activate," Joplin explained. Demi glanced at George and he suddenly had a smile on his face.