chapter thirty-three

━━ CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE / bodyepisode five, part one

episode five, part one

Once they returned back to Portland Row, Demi headed straight upstairs. She had initially intended to go straight to her own room but as she stood in the room with her pyjamas in hand, she didn't want to be there. And so she went down to Lockwood's room. He wasn't in there so she decided to get change, ready to collapse into his bed the second that she had.

But it was as she pulled her shirt off - with her pyjama pants already firmly on - that the door flew open and she let out a yelp of Lockwood's name, turning away from the door completely. Thankfully, she still had a bra on.

"Sorry, I didn't realise you were in here," Lockwood stumbled out as he firmly closed the door behind him. Demi ran her fingers through her hair, squeezing her eyes shut. It suddenly felt like a horrific idea to come into Lockwood's room to sleep. The guilt was eating her up for shouting at him but she knew that it was needed.

"Yeah, I-" She tried, stumbling over her words and suddenly she didn't know what to do with herself, "Do you want me to-?" But before she could finish her sentence, Lockwood had cut her off with a very stern; "No."

Demi nodded and she reached over to the bed, grabbing her pyjama shirt. She then went to pull it over her head and Lockwood instantly noticed the bruises on her wrist. It was like someone had gripped her arm, he could see the hand marks across her forearm and his mind went to the worst place. Chase.

"What's wrong with your wrist?" He asked as he walked over. Demi pulled the shirt over her head before she whirled around to face him. She forced a nonchalant look onto her face, wanting to just ignore it and how much it hurt.

"Oh, uhm, I think I bruised it at the cemetery? The... uhm, visitor did it, I think. It's all sort of hazy," She mumbled out. Lockwood's eyebrows furrowed. He didn't believe that for a minute. The way she was stumbling over her words was always a tell when she was trying to cover something up and he reached out for her face.

His left hand cupped her cheek as he tilted her head up so that they met gazes, "You don't have to lie," He mumbled. Demi's eyebrows furrowed and she averted her gaze for a moment before he gently stroked her cheek.

"I'm not. It was hurting when we went to get George, I just didn't want to say anything," She responded and he could tell that that was the truth. After everything that they had talked about only a few hours earlier, he knew that she didn't have the heart to lie to him. He drew her into a hug and she buried her face in his chest.
"Why didn't you say anything?" He asked curiously. Demi didn't really know what to say, so just stayed pressed against him for another few moments. She was squeezing him with her good arm, she needed the comfort. After her conversation with Chase, she needed to know that someone still cared for her. Even when she was rash and stupid.

"It's just another thing to add to the list," She admitted, an awkward chuckle leaving her lips. He nodded and pressed a kiss to the top of her head.

"Do you need any painkillers?" It was such a soft question but Demi shook her head. They had already stopped dulling the pain that seemed to throb through her body at any given moment so there was no point, "Are you sure it's not ghost-touch?" There was more worry in the way he said it and Demi nodded.