○The Rise of Evil

__________________
BAEK DA-HYE
__________________

[July 7th]

I open the drawer and look for a marker. This one has the design of grass with white daisies. Above, the sky is azure blue.

''And Yahweh God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt no eat, for in the day that you eat of it you will surely die.''

Marking the text where I left off, leave the Bible in the drawer and close it.

''Why is it so difficult to stay away from sin?''

I look into space, thoughtfully.

Whenever I think about it, an icy shiver runs through my body. My throat freezes completely, dry from the impending desire of wanting to sin.

However, as soon as Chae won and Yan arrive, I am greeted and collect myself, wiping my eyes.

Now all hell reigns. Yan lets her cell phone play loud rock music, and it's going to make me angry. Chae won takes off her sneakers and leaves them spread out, disheveled, sits on the bed with Yan, and they share the headset, smiling at something on their cell phone.

Ultimately, their behaviors make me more uncomfortable.

Again, I remain silent, push away my thoughts, and make my bed to sleep. I go to the bathroom, comb my hair carefully, brush my teeth, and turn off the tap.

I hear them both laughing loudly.

This makes me angrier.

My parents say that when we are under temptation, we should sincerely seek God's word.

I breathe, trying to be okay. But the unclean torments me.

When I return to the room, I see Chae won tear off her white shirt with the blue tie and walk around the room in a skirt, bra, and socks.

My gaze moves to the tattoo on her chest and the others on her wrists. As soon as she puts on a white blouse and takes off her skirt, I realize I'm looking at her.

She didn't see it, thank God (I'm sorry, God!). She's too busy talking to Yan.

So I lie down, leave my glasses on the desk next to me, and cover myself up to try to sleep.

In my impatient dream, with every second that passes, I fervently resist the touches until the moment I can no longer control myself. Sana surrounds me and tries to kiss me in the empty classroom.

It makes me anxious and on fire.

Desperate. With the growing excitement and the heat of my mouth on hers, it makes me succumb again to the perversion of having desires.

Thoughts of sex with her.

''Dahyunnie, are you okay?''

I open my eyes and see Chae won, next to the bed, looking at me in amazement. "Jesus!" I say, scared.

''Calm down, it's me,' she says, narrowing her eyes at me.

''You can't wake me up and scare me!!'', I complain. My cheeks burn.

''Did you have a spicy dream? You were moaning,' she says, slowly putting her glasses on her face, tying her tie, and tucking her white cell phone between the waistband of her skirt.

''I wasn't moaning, I was-''

''I know a moan.'' She laughs.

''I was not.'' I wrap the sheet around my neck. I'm not naked, I'm in my pajamas, but a cold wind is blowing.