🔸️Like a dream

_____________________
AKARI TOKIZAKI
_____________________

When I wake up, if I dreamed, I don't remember. But I know my cell phone is somewhere.

I run my hand over the sheet and find it on the edge. The first thing I do is look at the message box. There is one from Chae won with a teary-eyed rabbit holding a heart.

''I kind of like your stupid apology,'' I say, smiling.

The time shows it was delivered at 1:22 am. I was already sleeping. That painkiller got me drugged.

I lie down on the bed again, writing a reply to the girl, but I interrupt midway when I realize that there is a message from Ji-hye that arrived after hers. Does the time say 4 pm on Sunday?

I look confused at the ceiling of this dark bedroom, throw myself out of bed, run to the window, and open the curtains, looking at the sky.

It's still daytime. There are few clouds, and the sun is already setting.

"I slept all day?!" I end up saying it out loud, ripping the shirt off my body as I head towards the closet and look for a long-sleeved black shirt.

''Are you awake?'' Mom appears, opening the door, catching me in what I would call an awkward moment. I put on my jeans at the sound speed so my mom doesn't see me in my underwear.

''I wasted my entire Sunday, Mom,'' I sigh in defeat. ''Why didn't you wake me up?''

''I tried, but you wouldn't wake up...'' She walks towards me. Her hair is medium length, sweet look, a warm hug, and a kiss on my cheek. 'Good morning, Akari.''

Soft sweetness. I see a sensitive, romantic, and home-loving person. I can't talk more about her because I will never be satisfied. This is my mother, Sakura, and I love her so much.

"Good morning." I wrap my arms around her back, squeezing her tight. ''You're crying?''

"I guess I'm a little... sensitive." Mom wipes her eyes.

''Don't keep seeing bad news, mom.''

''How do you know?''

''I just feel,'' I say simply, sitting down in the chair and turning on the computer to do some research.

She opens my closet door and looks to see if it is organized.

🔸️🔸️🔸️

After having my super late ''breakfast'', mom, dad, and I go to the living room to talk and enjoy the Sunday evening. We usually like to go to the park once a month, but today I overslept, and the weekend ended without me noticing.

The TV is on at low volume. I sit in my favorite spot ㅡ the square arm of the couch. Mom and Dad are sitting on the other one, very close to each other, fingers intertwined, facing me. It always made me feel safe.

''Now I just wonder why you like reading vampire romance novels.'' Dad laughs, seeing from the credit card statement on his cell phone that I've ordered a book for my bookshelf.

''I like it because it's fascinating and mysterious,'' I say, smiling and going back to watching TV.

When I was a kid, I watched vampire movies and ended up thinking I was one. It was a child's dream, but I avoided walking in the sun and even had toy vampire teeth. I wanted to be a vampire, that's why I like vampire love stories so much.

When my book arrives, I will re-read it again, and then it will share space with the computer books, the red book of Cristian School rules, and Chae won's manga that I brought to glue the pages.