Chapter 4

Night dissolves to dawn and Shifu sits under the peach tree with Oogway's staff, deep in thought. Jesse walks over to the tree and she sees him sitting there. Jesse thought he was probably been sitting there all night as she walks over to Shifu. "How are you feeling?" Jesse asks him making Shifu turn to her. "He's right, I can't turn him into something he's not." Shifu said to her as Jesse sits down next to him. "I think you can." Jesse said to him making Shifu look away from her. "You did it before, you can do it again." Jesse said to him before Shifu can say something the two hear something in the distance. "Yah! Hai!" Shifu stirs, his ears prick as he hears kung fu noises in the distance. The two go to investigate, going to the place you would usually expect to see kung fu: the Training Hall. Shifu and Jesse look inside...it's empty. The noises continue from somewhere else...the bunkhouse.

Inside the bunkhouse, as Shifu and Jesse turn the corner, they see Po's shadow as he performs some amazing kung fu. "Hai...yah! Wai-ya!" Po yelled while Jesse and Shifu entered the kitchen and they find Po punching through a cupboard door with his bare fist, coming out with food, and proceeding to stuff his face. Po turns to see Jesse and Shifu making him stop mid-munch in silence, they eye each other. Shifu and Jesse survey the room...broken lock, smashed doors, unhinged cabinets...the supposedly useless panda has completely trashed the kitchen. Po belches, bringing Shifu and Jesse's attention back to him. "What? I eat when I'm upset, okay?" Po said to the two annoyed and with his mouth full. Shifu gets a glimmer in his eye and has an idea. "Oh, no need to explain." Jesse said to him. "We just thought you might be Monkey. He hides his almond cookies on the top shelf." Shifu said to him and the two calmly exits and hides just outside the doorway, waiting to see if their hunch is correct. Po looks at the shelf, smiles, and sneaks out of sight of the door's entrance. KLUMP! KLONK! THUNK! Shifu and Jesse rush back inside and are amazed to find Po perched atop the high shelves, jamming cookies from a jar into his mouth, his legs in a split. Shifu's disbelief turns into a wise smile as Po spots them and stops eating. "Don't tell Monkey." Po said to them with his mouth full while Shifu steps forward. "Look at you..." Shifu said to him. "Yeah, I know. I disgust you." Po said to him. "No no, I mean...how did you get up there?" Shifu asks him while Jesse walks over to Shifu's side. "I don't know. I guess I— I don't know. I was getting a cookie..." Po said to him as he looks at the cookie and then can't help but eat it. "And yet you are ten feet off the ground...and have done a perfect split." Jesse said to him. "No, this...this is just an..." Po said to her then his eyes widen as he begins to slip. "Accident." Po said then WHOOMP! Po slips and crashes to the kitchen floor. A cookie rolls over to Shifu who picks it up. "There are no accidents. Come with us." Shifu said to him. Po picks himself up from the pile of pans and stares as Shifu and Jesse walk off.

High up in the Wudang Mountains, Shifu and Jesse lead Po, who is weighed down with a large backpack and breathing hard, up a rocky path. "I know you're trying to be all mystical and kung fu-ey, but could you at least tell me where we're going?" Po asks Shuif while Jesse looks back at Po. "You will see." Jesse said to him. 

Later, Shifu is sitting on a rock in front of a still pool, morning mist partially obscuring the immediate area while Jesse watched Po. Winded and wheezing, Po staggers his way next to Shifu and Jesse, collapses to the ground, and discards the backpack. Shifu breathes in the morning mist, his eyes closed, as Po crawls towards the pool in disbelief. "You...dragged me...all the way out here...for a bath?!" Po asks them as he begins to pat his armpits with water. "Po, we do not wash our pits in The Pool of Sacred Tears." Jesse said to him making Po quickly stops. "The pool of..." Po said as Shifu jumps off the rock as the mist begins to thin. "This is where Oogway unravelled the mysteries of harmony and focus. This is the birthplace...of kung fu." Shifu said to him, in pure amazement and disbelief, Po slaps a paw on his heart as the sunlight shines through. Shifu leaps atop one of a rock and looks down at Po. "Do you want to learn kung fu?" Shifu asks Po. "Yeah..." Po said very awestruck. "Then I am...your...master!" Shifu yelled making Jesse smile at her master. "Okay!" Po said to him while tears of joy well up in Po eyes. "Don't cry." Jesse said to him. "Okay." Po said to her as he sniffs then Po wipes his nose and smiles.