Chapter 4: Behind The Mask

HENG

"Hello, mom?" My hands were shaking the moment I answered the phone.

Here we go again, another day, another disappointment. I have never been the best in my mom's eyes. All she did was pressure me in my academics and tell me to outsmart Freen.

Freen and I used to be best friends. Our parents were very close to each other to the point that they wanted me to marry her, but not until her parents separated, and she chose her dad over her mom.

I was so devastated back then. I have a massive crush on her, but now she sees me as her rival-the one who would take away her crown. Although I didn't want to compete with her, my parents were eyeing me, and they wanted me to surpass what Freen's achieved.

They hated Freen after she chose her dad. Her father is a womanizer. Therefore, they think Freen was also like him.

"Always remember that I won't be proud of you not until you snatched Freen's place, understood?" She hung up after all she said.

Sometimes I wonder if they want me to be number one or if they want to pull Freen down. She didn't do anything to them, yet they pulled her down. Everything she loved they tried to steal from her. Perhaps those were the reason why Freen became ice cold-the reason why she chose not to show any emotion and rejected everyone.

I decided to take some fresh air outside the dormitory. Anyway, there are dormitories in AU, but only a few students stay- those who don't like the atmosphere at home.

I saw Freen and waved at her, but she looked at me while burning in anger. Her eyes were enraged, and she mouthed me to follow her.

"What? What did I do again?" I asked.

We stopped at the front of Solaris Cafe.

"You think I didn't know? You used my weakness for me to lose. How many times do I tell you that I don't regret my decision? Stop your stupid parents from spying on me because they won't get anything!" Her voice rose, causing me to step back.

She was fuming mad.

"I don't know what you are talking about." I tried to explain, but her mind was closed.

Freen entered the cafe, so I followed her again.

"Leave me alone, Heng! I don't need your explanation. I don't care about my standing, and I don't care if you won that quiz bee. So please, let me live my life." Freen eyes became teary, so she turned her back and went to her favorite spot.

All eyes were on us, so I mouthed sorry and bowed a little.

I don't know what she was talking about. Weakness? When did they find out her weakness?

"Wait, is she referring to?"

I looked around and saw Freen staring at Saint and Becky hugging. It's not a hug, but Becky was trying to get the book from Saint, but he kept waving it in the air.

Freen likes Becky. She's jealous because Becky gave me the keychain meant for her. She even cheered for me during the contest proper. Freen lost her focus, the reason why she lost.

A grin escaped from my lips because of the thought.

My feet journeyed to the boxing gym where Becky and I usually go. We love kickboxing, and that's how we became close.

I went to the locker and hauled my white t-shirt over my head, and wrapped the gauze around my knuckles.

"Hey, you're alone today? Where's your girlfriend?" Coach asked me, causing me to let out a soft chuckle.

This coach has been our trainer since a week ago. The last trainer got fired after trying to hit on a random girl student. At the same time, this one was also getting on my nerves. He kept on looking at Becky and touched her every time he had a chance to. Becky didn't notice it since she thought it was all part of training.

"You mean Becky? She's not my girl." I faked a smile and positioned myself in front of the speed bag.

I'm doing ten rounds today, my regular training; after this, I'm going to the fitness gym.

"You two came here together almost every day; where is she now? She's hot as hell, though." He bit his lips, making me lose focus, and hit him in the face. "What was that for?" he snapped as he wiped the blood from his lips.

"From now on, Becky and I won't come here. You're disgusting. At your age, you can be her father!" I thundered before removing the gauze and throwing it at his face.

I don't like Becky romantically. She's a sister to me, and besides, Saint is my best friend, and he likes Becky, so I must protect her at all costs.