Chapter 32: Let Go

FREEN

I know from the very beginning that I'm not the one she's going to spend the rest of her life with. I'm a woman, and at the end of the day, she will marry a man.

When I saw her at the so-called reunion, I already knew that there was something in her. I couldn't remember, but my heart pounded simultaneously when we locked our eyes.

"Is that Becky?" I ask Heng. He looks in the direction I point and nods.

"The hottest student in AU. Many students want to date her, but she's in love with the cruelest and coldest person." I tilt my head as I wait for his explanation. "You. You're the coldest student in AU, and she likes you so much."

"What happened to us?"

"I don't know," he says with a shrug. "Once, you stormed into a room telling everybody you didn't want to perform. And after that, nobody talked to you. Aside from me, of course."

I wonder what I did to her before. She's looking at me as if she's killing me in her mind. Every time we see each other, her eyes tell me something I can't fathom.

Until that night in her bedroom, I discovered we had dated before. It's unusual to feel this for her since we're both girls. I can't help myself. It's like I'm missing her.

Though Becky is confusing me sometimes, she's making me feel special today, then acting cold the next day. She's in love with me today, and she tells me she can't leave Saint afterward. She's sending me mixed signals, and I don't know what to do. I wonder if she likes me or playing with my feelings. I hope not.

Since the truth is, she's the girl in my dream. The one I was talking about was the person I saw in front of the altar. It's her, but I can't tell her. I don't want to assume she will give up everything just for me. Saint is a high-class man, and many bachelorettes intend to marry him. I'm not sure if Becky is one of them too.

For the first time in my second life, I got angry at Saint. I like her fiancée. I want to steal her from him, but as a twin sister, I should support him and not the other way around.

"Freen, can we talk?" Heng asks. He walks toward me and sits on the edge of the bed. I sit down, too, and look at him innocently.

"I know you don't want to marry me." He bites his lower lip and lets out a sigh. "I can't teach you to love me, can I?" he nervously laughs, but I only look at him.

"You're not my boyfriend, are you?" I ask.

When I woke up in a hospital room, he introduced himself as my boyfriend. He looked innocent and sincere, so I believed him. As time passed by, I started to wonder. Even how many times I looked at him, I couldn't feel any butterflies in my stomach. There was no electrification every time he was holding me, unlike when I saw Becky when she touched me and when she whispered to my ears. Those were the feelings I was longing for.

"I'm sorry for lying. I was selfish for a moment and wanted to keep you, but I can't control the truth forever."

I reach for his hand and gently touch the back of it. I know how sorry he is, and I understand. If I were him, I would do the same. I guess he loves me, that's why he did that.

"It's fine. I understand." I smile at him.

"Later, we're going to Saint and Becca's rehearsal. I haven't told them yet that our engagement has been canceled." He explains. "Clean up. We need to get ready."

The venue is enormous for a single wedding. It looks like a church, but the surroundings are bookshelves. Saint is standing in front while Becca is slowly walking. My heart warms, forming my lips into a smile. She looks perfect walking down the aisle. Though she's not yet wearing her gown, I can imagine it perfectly.

I wonder what it feels like if she's walking toward me.

"Are you just going to stand there and let her marry someone else?" Heng asks, causing me to chuckle.

"Of course not," I say.

I won't watch her marry my twin. I will go far away before their wedding day. That's my plan. If I ruined her life before, I couldn't distort it again. I want her to be happy. The genuine happiness she deserves. I want her to feel loved every day in Saint's arms. I know my twin will never hurt her.

A solemn tear escapes from my eye. Am I thrilled? Am I going to be happy after doing this? I can't imagine my life without her. In the few weeks that we have known each other, I fell hard. If Heng were telling the truth, our love story would be one of 'she fell first, but he fell harder.'

When Becky reaches Saint's destination, she fakes a smile. Saint gently grabs her hand and tangles it with his.

Why the sad smile, babe? Aren't you happy that you're going to marry someone like him? He can protect you and give you anything you want. He can love you until his last breath. So why are you flashing a sad smile?

"So, what's your plan? Can I help?" Heng asks again.

"Book me a one-way ticket to Switzerland."