Chapter 33: The Truth

BECCA

"What do you mean we can't do the double wedding?" I ask Saint, who's sitting comfortably in his office chair.

"Heng and Freen canceled their engagement. I don't know what happened, but Heng told me he couldn't do it. Freen is still sick. She doesn't know what's going on. If Heng married her, and then her memories came back, that would be real chaos." Saint informs me while continuously drumming his fingers on the table. "We can cancel ours too."

"No," I object. "Heng mentioned that it's impossible to gain back her memories."

If I agree, Saint will be suspicious. He might think that Freen and I did something to cancel our marriage. I should act as if I knew nothing about their break up. I'm afraid he would do something to Freen if he finds out.

"I told my father that we're going to marry sooner, so he has to recover. Double or not, we'll proceed."

Saint stands up from his swivel chair and heads in my direction. He reaches for my hands and gently caresses them.

"I heard what you and your father talked about. I also made up my mind. The reason why I haven't proposed yet is that you're not ready. If you don't want to marry me, it's fine. I'm okay with that. I realize that Heng is right. If I love a person, I should be happy with what makes them happy. I should let go if they want to be free. I want you to be happy, Becky. And it's fine if it's not with me." Saint caresses my cheek and flashes a sweet smile. "I can still protect you. Both of you, if you want me to." He fakes a smile as tears escape from his eyes.

"Are you admitting your defeat?" I ask.

"I never won, Becky. I know all this time that your heart belongs to my twin. At first, I tried to do everything for you to hate her, but you didn't. You only love her more. You saw her flaws, but you didn't hate her." Saint looks down as the guilt rushes all over his body. "She left to save you. That's the truth. She introduced another woman so that my father won't bother you. She sacrificed a lot, Becky: her happiness, her freedom, her reputation for keeping you alive. I cannot tell all this, but that's the truth. Freen didn't leave just because she was tired. She left for your good."

"Why are you saying this now?" I ask again. I push him a bit, and he avoids my gaze. "Why are you telling me this late, after everything I did to her? I plan to get back at her for all the stupid things she did. I plan to ruin her relationship with Heng since I saw her in love with him. I plan to make her life miserable because she made me suffer!" I cried.

"I'm sorry. I became selfish. I want to keep you, Becky. That's why I'm letting you see her wrong sides."

"You're cruel. No, you're evil." I throw him my purse, but he doesn't flinch.

"Freen left last night. She went to Switzerland."

"This is part of your plan, right? Telling me the truth once she left so I won't have a choice but to stay with you. Why are you like this?" I ask in disbelief. "I'm not planning on chasing her. I don't care where she goes. All I know right now is for you to disappear before me. I don't want to hear anything from you again. We're over."

I pick up my purse and leave the room. I try to prevent the tears from flowing, but I can't. Hot tears stream down my face, and his employees look at me with pity.

I don't need your pity. I don't need anyone. I can make myself happy. Damn, people!

"Becca," I hear someone from behind calling my name, but I don't look back. "Wait for me; you need to see this."

It's Heng, and he's carrying a phone. He hands me the phone, and I look at the video. It's news about the plane crash. My hands shake when I realize why Heng is showing me this. I turn to Heng, and he's looking at me nervously.

"Where is she?" I almost shout.

"In the hospital, her father called, but I know who she needs right now. It's not me, Becky. It's you."

"Take me there, now!"

Heng drives me to the hospital, and I run as fast as possible to reach Freen's ward immediately. I need to see her now; I need to know if she's okay and if she gets hurt.

"Are you Rebecca?" A man who's taller than me by a few inches stands up.

"Yes, and you are?" I ask. I don't know him. I haven't seen him in my entire life.

The man kneels before me, making me step back in shock. What is he doing?

"I'm sorry," he cries. "I'm sorry for intervening. I didn't know that this would happen." He reaches for my feet and continues to sob.

Heng helps the man to stand up, but he keeps on crying and mumbling, 'sorry.' That's when I realized that he was Freen's father. Heng motions for me to enter the room, and he will take care of the man.

I enter the room, and the wonderful, delightful scent of kaufmanniana tulip greets me. My feet journey in Freen's direction, and I see her lying down with many wounds dressed all over her body.

"What the hell are you doing there? I thought you wanted to spend your life with me?" I chuckle though tears are streaming down my face. I reach for her hand and caress it. "Wake up, babe. I'm here." I kiss her hand gently as I try to stop myself from sobbing.

"I'm sorry," I cry. "I didn't know. I blamed you too early. I'm sorry."

While I'm crying my heart out, someone enters the room, causing me to wipe my tears. It's Heng carrying food.

"You should eat first, Becca." He puts the food on the table and gently pulls me to sit on the couch, inches away from Freen's bed.

I don't want to let go of her hands, but Heng tells me it's okay. I need the energy to care for Freen, so I must eat.

"If Freen sees you are skipping your meals, she will be furious. Go eat." He prompts.

"Does Freen hates me for turning her down?" I curiously ask.

Heng looks at me and smiles. "She never hates you, Becky. She never did."