Chapter 34: Accident

HENG

I was walking back and forth when Freen's father told me their enemies were chasing her. I don't know what to do. I want to protect her, but I don't know where she's at.

"Hello, Heng?" I let out a sigh when she finally picked up the phone.

"Freen, where are you?" I get nervous as time passes by without seeing her.

"I'm driving. I don't think I can make it, Heng."

"What are you talking about? Go to my place! I have guards around here. They know your plate number; they will allow you to enter!" I yell at her.

"Heng, my car is giving up. If I don't make it, I want you to promise something." I heard a gunshot from her end, making me punch the wall.

"Where are you, Freen? Please, tell me. I'll go there in a minute. Please, Freen!" My tears burst out because of the thought of losing her. "Tell me, please," I say with a cracked voice.

"Heng, listen if something happened to me. I don't want you to tell Becky."

"Why are you thinking of her? She's gone! She's happy with your twin, so please stop thinking of her and go home already!" I snap.

"Listen to me first!" She shouts. "If I die today, please promise that if you can, please make her happy. I hate seeing her cry like a baby. I hate seeing her in a sad state. So, if this is my last day, please tell her I didn't hate her. I never hated her. I love her so much."

My tears flow again. Though she's not saying it to me, I can feel her sincerity.

"I may be a coward, but I do love her. You don't have to guilt-trip her, Heng. I know you. If I leave this world today, tell her that I didn't love someone else. It's always been her. And always forever."

After those words, there was a loud crash on her end before the line went dead.

I asked my men to find Freen, and they saw her unconscious lying on the ground. She was covered in blood, and gunshots were on the back of her shoulder. When Freen was confined, I was the only one caring for her. Her family was nowhere to be found. I paid all her bills and took her home. I became her boyfriend. But things happened so fast, and she doubted our actual relationship. At first, I told her that it was one of the symptoms of her condition, but she didn't believe it until she saw Becca again.

I knew that it was going to be our end, so I told everyone that I was going to marry her. Freen didn't object and went with the flow.

"Heng, why do you want to marry me? Do you love me?" she asked innocently.

"I do. Why?"

"Nothing."

Every night she would ask me if I loved her, but I didn't notice that she was asking herself too. Did she love me back, or in the past few years we spent together, her heart still belong to Becca?

I knew from the beginning that even though I became a good person for her, she wouldn't love me the same as she did Becca. She would never look at me like she looked at her.

"Earth to Heng, are you alright?" Becky asks, pulling me from the flashbacks in my head.

"Ah yes," I stutter and continue to eat.

I wonder if I should tell Becca what happened before. She's carrying too much burden. All the guilt is in her. If Freen found that people blamed her for what happened to her, she won't sit there and watch.

"Saint told me everything. You know, the reason why Freen left me years ago. It's hard to believe too, but it's the truth. I can't help but blame myself for everything." Becky fakes a smile. She has swollen eyes, and she looks so tired.

"Do you know how much she loves you? The night you two broke up, she stormed into a room and told miss Saelim that she didn't want to perform anymore. She cried all night, saying that she was a coward." I explain.

"Where's the lie?" she chuckles. "I know how cowardly she was before for not fighting for us. I told myself that even if she hurt me, I'd still believe her, but it was not easy. It's hard to endure so much pain she caused."

I pat Becca's shoulder and smile at her. I don't know how to comfort her.

After the meal, I let Becca stay in Freen's room since she doesn't want to go home. She wants to stay with her and be the first person Freen sees when she wakes up.

"How is she?" Saint asks the moment I enter his car.

"Who's she? Your twin or your ex-girlfriend?" I ask back.

Saint looks away and heaves a sigh. "Both."

"Then your question should be, 'how are they?' Don't you think?" I ask with sarcasm.

"How are they, Heng?"

I look outside, ignoring his question. Actually, I don't know. Becky seems okay, but I know she's dying inside. Freen is lying down, fighting for her life. I don't know if they will be alright soon or not.

"Heng, was it worth it? You know, being good to her?" Saint asks again.

"You know what I've learned? Whether you're bad or good, if the person likes someone, she will never look at you. I became the antagonist." I chuckle. "But it's worth it, Saint. Seeing her happy with the person she loves makes me happy too."