Chapter 31: Part of the Plan

BECCA

"Can I?"

Freen laughs and flicks my forehead, making me whimper. That hurts.

"Marriage is not a play or a game. It is a sacred ritual. If you want to marry, then you should make sure that you want to spend your life with me." Freen shakes her head and continues what she draws.

I don't want to cancel my wedding either, for revenge. Maybe I should stop this now. It's getting nowhere. I will be the one who will be hurt in the end.

"How many weeks do we have until the wedding?" I ask.

"Let me see," she says as she tilts her head. "12? Three months to be exact. Why?"

"Nothing. I suggest we should behave well from now on. I'm afraid Saint will find out soon. I can't lose him." I explain.

Freen stops for a moment. She turns to me in disappointment and puts down her pencil.

"But I can break my engagement with Heng for you."

My eyebrows lift. "I'm sorry, I can't. I was just kidding a while ago. I can't lose Saint for you. Excuse me." I stand up and go in Saint's direction.

I don't know if I should be happy after turning her down. There's a part of me that wants to start again with her. She's willing to be with me now; she likes me. Everything goes well, but why do I feel like someone stabbing me? I plan this, right? This is just part of my plan.

"Becca, let's go. Something's happened to your father."

My eyes widen, and we run to the parking lot. We're so nervous that we forget to tell Freen. It's OK; she can drive home alone.

When we arrived at my hospital room, I immediately ran into him and gave him a tight hug.

"What happened?" I ask.

"I'll leave you two for a moment." Saint excuses himself and goes out. I turn to my father again, and he's smiling from ear to ear.

"I can't believe that you're planning your marriage already. I still remember when Saint and his twin went to my house to persuade me to return because she said you missed me."

I tilt my head. Saint's twin? Was Freen with him when they talked to my dad before?

"If it wasn't with her, I'll never believe that guy. He looks like a gangster."

"Dad, what do you mean he was with his twin before?" I ask.

"His twin sister found me and talked to me first. She explained everything about the misunderstanding that happened. I remember I joked that time; I told her that if only she were a guy, I'd like her to marry you." My dad shakes his head while laughing.

Freen was the one who found my father so that I have a complete family again. She's even close to my father, but why does-

"Anyway, Becca. I heard his twin sister died in an accident. Sadly, she's a great girl. Saint must have been so devastated at that time."

"She didn't die. She has amnesia. Actually, we're going to do a double wedding." I inform him.

"If you're doing this wedding just because I told you, you can cancel it anytime." My dad holds my hand and smiles at me. "I won't be upset. I don't want to decide everything for you. You're a grown-up now. You can choose what's best for you. If you still can't see Saint as your partner for a lifetime, you better cancel this already. I understand." He caresses the back of my hand.

"I will marry him, dad." I smile.

"Do you love him?" he asks.

"I will marry him," I say, ignoring his question.

After that conversation, Saint brings me home to get some rest. He won't sleep with me tonight since he has something to discuss with Heng and Freen.

I browse my phone to alleviate my boredom. Damn it, should I call Freen? But she's with Saint right now. It doesn't matter. I will call her.

"Hello, Becca?" Her voice reverberates even on the phone. I tried this many times, but mine doesn't reverberate whatever I do. "Saint is downstairs, talking to Heng. Do you want to talk to him?"

"No, I want to hear your voice."

"But you told me we should stop this, right? This doesn't seem right. I don't want to be your second option, your other girl or woman. I don't want to be your number two."

Indeed, night changes so fast. Years ago, you were willing, but now you don't. It seems like you have matured, Freen. You certainly grow up.

"You've been with Heng for more than years, you know? And for the girl you met weeks ago, you're willing to let him go?" I ask with sarcasm.

"To be honest, that's why I want to marry him. He's the only person I can see, but then you came. You flip my world upside down. You distort my life, Becky. That one night was the best night for me," she says.

"I can't give you anything. Heng is richer than me. Actually, he can give you the universe." I chuckle.

"But I don't want the whole universe. I want you, Becky."

I don't know why, but her last sentence makes me frozen. I can't utter another word because of the overwhelming sensation.

If she doesn't have amnesia, will she still say those words? Will she talk to me like this? If her old self hears her right now, she will vomit.

"Becky, are you still there?"

"Yes," I say when she pulls me from my thoughts.

"I can't remember you, but I think what happened in the past. The relationship we had before, perhaps my feelings were real. You know the saying, the mind maybe forgets, but the heart always remembers."

If you only knew what you did, you won't be able to dig it up right now.