Chapter 9: Acquaintance Party

BECCA

Days after the incident in the storage room, the acquaintance party still happened. Freen, Saint, and Heng gave all their time to organize the event while I was busy with my org.

"You look gorgeous tonight," Non complimented me, and slightly bent his one knee, then asked for my hand. "Can I have this dance?" he asked.

I was about to take his hand when Saint walked passed between us. He snatched my hands and pulled me into the middle. He put his hands on my waist, making me wrap my arms around his neck.

"I'm sorry," he said as he avoided my gaze. "I don't want you to ruin your reputation for Freen. Also, sorry for saying those words."

"Look at me," I prompted. "You're one of my best friends, the closest to me. You should be the one supporting me, Saint."

Saint clicked his tongue. I know he couldn't accept my feelings for Freen. Who would have thought that I, the campus belle would fall in love with a girl? Even I, couldn't understand what have gotten into me, why I fell for that woman. She was cold to everyone, she always wore a poker face, and didn't get along with others.

I looked at the bar where Freen was busy serving drinks. There were lots of guys sitting on the stool, and talking to her, but she kept ignoring them. No one could make her speak, so I left Saint on the dancefloor and went to the bar.

"Hi pretty, can I have a mojito please?" I blinked three times and smiled sweetly.

Freen prepared my drink, but when she gave it to me it wasn't a mojito. It was orange juice!

I looked at her in disbelief, and she just grinned and then continued to serve others. I drank the juice while still sulking, then Heng came and ask for the same drink. Freen grabbed a glass of water and gave it to Heng.

"Are you still mad about the last time?" Heng asked, but Freen just ignored him.

Heng turned to me, and we clinked our glassed. We didn't have a choice but to drink what was there.

"I still remember when Freen and I were still young, she used to smile sweetly. Though her parents told her that it was okay to cry, she still smile. Now, I don't know what happened and why she became like that," Heng said and drink the remaining water in his glass. Although the music was so loud, I could still hear him.

Heng was Freen's childhood friend. Maybe he knew what happened to her and why she became afraid of thunder.

"Do you like the sound of the thunder?" I asked.

"No, but Freen did."

"Freen did? Isn't she afraid?" I asked again.

There must be a misunderstanding here. Based on what I saw last time, she didn't like it. She was afraid and even cried. That was the first time I saw her cry, and I know that this wasn't a mere fear. She was traumatized.

"When we were eight years old, the cloud became dark and started rumbling. I hid under her bed, but she was beside the window and admiring the clouds. I told her that it was dangerous, but she didn't flinch. That's actually the first she ignored me." Heng laughed nervously before calling Freen for a drink, but she just rolled her eyes. "Now, she kept ignoring me like I did something wrong."

"You pushed her last time, remember?" I asked referring to the night when we were in the storage room.

"It wasn't that hard!" Heng defended himself.

I shook my head as I chuckled and continued to drink my orange juice.

A minute later, Saint went to the bar and asked Freen for a mojito. Heng and I laughed, thinking that Freen would give him a different drink but she didn't.

"What the hell?" Heng asked.

Saint almost got choked.

"What?" he asked, making us glare at him.

What did he do to Freen, and why did she give him the right drink?

"Freen, let's dance." Saint lend his hands and Freen accepted it without thinking twice.

When Freen took off her apron, I realized that she was wearing a navy blue banquet evening sleeveless dress. She looked so gorgeous in it, but it was too revealing. I wanted to put back the apron, but I would ruin her night. So, I went inside the counter and prepared my drinks.

"Becca! What are you doing? If Freen sees you, she'll cut our heads off!" Heng tried to stop me from drinking vodka, but I snatched the bottle from him and drink it.

My head started to spin after taking a few gulps. I think it wasn't a few. I'm getting dizzy now. The vodka bottle shattered on the floor and I grasped the nearest stool.

I felt Heng wrap my arms around him and told me to stop drinking. I couldn't see his face properly, but I smiled at him and gave him thumbs-up.