Chapter 25: Change

BECCA

The party started and Saint joined the dancefloor without me since I told him that I wanted to rest for a while. The boys pulled him so he didn't have a choice but to dance with them.

"The boys pulled your fiancé too?" someone asked from behind, so I turned around to see.

"Yeah, I want to get some rest too. Why don't you join them?" I asked her.

Freen sat next to me and looked at Heng while dancing. Her eyes were glistening, and her lips were forming a smile. She's admiring him from here.

Have you looked at me like that before?

"You love him so much, do you?" I asked again.

Freen nodded and smiled at me. "The moment I saw him, I know that he'd be the one that I'd marry."

"That's cringe, you know?" I grimaced, but she only chuckled.

"That's what I feel. I don't care if it's cringe or what."

I looked at her, but she was looking at him again. She was very different from the Freen that I used to know. She was not the same poker-faced Freen that everyone was afraid of. She looked like an angel today.

"You look so in love," I mumbled.

"Yeah, but sometimes face can be deceiving."

My left eyebrow raised when she said that.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I look so in love with him, but there's something inside me, doubting. If I'm really in love or just thankful to him. You know, I don't feel butterflies in my stomach like others say." She laughed nervously without taking off her gaze to her fiancé.

"Look at me, Freen." I held her jaw and gently turn her face to look at me. "Am I pretty?"

"Yeah, that's why my twin fell for you. Congratulations, by the way." She removed my hands from her face and faced Heng again.

I rolled my eyes. How could I tame her if she's so devoted to him?

"Freen!"

"Becca!"

Heng and Saint shouted at the same time, making us both chuckle. We looked at each other when we laughed in unison.

"Let's go to the buffet. Nam prepared your favorite dish." Saint smiled at me and held me carefully as if I was pregnant.

Lots of people looked at us, and I shook my head but Saint told me not to say anything.

When we sat in our designated seats, I looked around to find Freen, and they were heading towards us. I turned to Saint with knitted brows and he nodded.

"Freen requested to sit with me since we haven't seen each other for a long time." He explained.

"Since when did you become close?" I asked.

"Since she almost died. I thought you already moved on. So, what's wrong?" he asked back.

"Nothing, I just hate to see her smiling like that." I crossed my arms and leaned on my chair.

"She's still my twin, babe. Please, whatever happened in the past just forget it." I threw him death glares, before looking at the couple walking in our direction.

What happened in the past created a scar in my heart, that could not be healed by anyone. How could I forget it, if it destroyed me? It ruined me. How could he say those words when in fact he was there when I was suffering?

"Freen, sit down here." Saint pulled the chair for Freen and she gladly sat down on it.

I was looking at them while they were talking about what happened when we were university students. Freen couldn't remember anything so she was surprised at her behavior before. Heng and Saint didn't mention that we were once a thing. They completely forgot that I became part of her life.

Even I didn't want to remember it though, but I wanted to get revenge. I wanted to hurt her too. I wanted her to feel the pain I felt. I was so innocent back then when I gave her my all, and then she dumped me like I was a piece of junk that was blocking her way. She left me as if nothing happened between us.

A tear fell from my cheek so I quickly wiped it, so they did not notice. But even though I turned around, Freen saw it.

"What's wrong? Is there something in your eyes? Let me see." Freen stood and went to me then looked into my eyes. She gently blew it and looked into my eyes intently. When she realized that I was confused by her action, she stepped back and went back to her seat.

"Let me see," Saint said and looked at my eyes, but he found nothing. What would they find if there were no dust here?

"I'm fine." I pushed him so he could go back to his seat. "I'll go to the washroom." I smiled at them before leaving.

I looked in the mirror the moment I arrived at the washroom. This wasn't the plan. Years ago, I told myself that if I happened to see her again, I would act as if we didn't know each other.

"You okay?" I was startled when I heard Freen's voice.

Damn it! She followed me!

"Yes, I just removed something in my eyes." I lied.

"A while ago you're looking at me like I did something bad. What did I do before? Can I apologize for it?" she asked innocently.

She was no longer the cold-hearted lion. She looked like a docile lamb.

"Nothing. I have to go, Saint must be waiting for me." I was about to go out when she grabbed my arms.

"Sorry, Becca. I don't know what happened before. If I can make up for it, just tell me. I'll do anything for you."

You said that before. You agreed to be my secret affair and told me that you would be anything I wanted you to be, but you left me. Everything had changed. There's no way you could win me back.