.06

The ship to driftmark was filled with the entirety of the Targaryen clan. Except for the young Velaryon girl, before they left her pit masters told her of Starflame's size growth and how she'd be ride able now. Her mother was very apprehensive but the pit masters had faith, knowing of their bond and how short of a distance it would be. Syra has mounted Starflame before and never had difficulty plus the young dragon has been seen flying steady around the pit for many moons now.

Once her mother agreed she hurried to change from warm clothes for the boat ride to her riding leathers. When she arrived at the pit again someone surprising was there, Aemond. He stood close to Starflame having been around her before, as an attempt made by Syra to comfort Aemond in not having his own. He looked so at peace next to the beast like he was meant to.

Once he saw Syra he only muttered a few words before leaving. "Safe travels niece." It confused Syra why he would come all the way from the docks to the pits just to say that to her but she shook off any thoughts she had when her eyes met starflames beautiful purple ones. Mounting him and taken off rather quick as they were a bit behind schedule and she wanted to give Starflame enough time to not rush and get frazzled in the sky.

Veasyra's POV

Flying was an ethereal feeling. Everyone says it's exhilarating but that's an understatement. It was more than that. It was everything I thought it'd be and way more. But landing I was brought back to the harsh reality of why I was flying, the funeral of my aunt. As I was landing I saw the cliff with Laena's casket and knew it'd be a day of tears I couldn't shed anywhere but the comforts of my chambers, alone.

I arrived a bit before my family so I had enough time to settle Starflame into the pit and make him feel comfortable. After I walked to the docks, slowly so I could take in the beautiful island as she was never privileged enough to be there before. I get to the docks to see only Alicent and her children present. I look up to the sky to see Vhagar circling the sky, you could feel the grief radiating the entire island.

"Where's my mother?" I question the queen courtly.

"She's gone with the king to greet lord Corlys and pay respects before the gathering."

"When's the gathering, I was going to go for a walk around the shore before."

"Should be an hour or so darling, how about Aemond accompanies you." She offered with a genuine smile.

In the years of knowing Alicent I've learned to sense her true feelings on a matter. Most of the time she's hiding disdain while talking to my mother and respective family but with me she seems to relax and be more genuine. I don't understand why but I'm greatful. She's like another mother to me. Where my mother has always taught me to be happy with what I have and cherish things around me, which are important life lessons, Alicent has always pushed me to get the things I want.

It started with toys and then graduated to jewels and gowns and finally when I went to her wanting to learn about history with Aemond she told me to fight for it and she'd back me on anything my heart wanted. I looked to her for support more than I think I do my mother. It wasn't so much of me disliking my mother, I just felt this connection with the queen that wasn't as strong with my mother. Where my mother was trying to make appearances high that her sons were in fact Valeryons she pushed me off to the side a bit, unintentionally.

I was never questioned as much as my brothers having the striking Targaryen features. I pitied my brothers for having to withstand such treasonous claims, but what could I do, I was helpless in those means. I couldn't fight the people who said those words, and I surely couldn't tell the queen. The one thing I disliked about Alicent was her resentment to my family. It would cause very awkward moments for me when I'd have to choose who to be around and even bigger arguements with my mother when I'd go about what the queen suggests instead of my mother's opinion.