Chapter 6

Skyheart's POV:

Skyheart reopened her eyes to find herself in the medicine den. She felt a jolt of grief when she remembered what had happened.

Waterpaw had died.

Skyheart couldn't even bring herself to look outside the medicine den because she knew what was out there. Her kit. The most beautiful kit in the world.

Clearlight padded in, heart broken as well. "Hey..." he mummered. He lay down next to Skyheart and they both stared out over to the entrance of the den. Skyheart wailed out a mournful cry and Clearlight joined in. They continued this for a while before they fell asleep from exhaustion.

____________________

Two days had passed and Skyheart was still troubled. No one knew how Waterpaw had died. All they knew was that she had been found on the Magiclan border with blood pouring out of a wound on her neck. There was no scent of a clan on her. It was most definitely a cat who killed her though. But who?

Skyheart sighed. She hadn't gone with Whitepaw to see his training. She had broken a promise, a promise to her own kit.

Clearlight had not left the warriors den ever since Waterpaw passed away. Skyheart knew she was still in their hearts, watching them from Starclan. Skyheart looked up at the twinkling lights of moonhigh. She couldn't sleep at all. Roundpaw padded up to her and sat down, rubbing his fur against her mother. "I'm sorry..."

"Why." Her voice held no emotion.

"I knew that Waterpaw would die. I didn't tell anyone because they would think I was crazy..." Roundpaw started muttering something under his breath.

"How did you know?" asked Skyheart, suddenly interested in something for once.

"I have a power. I can see into the future and to the past... Starclan told me that I have to use the powers I have to save the clan.."

Her words had already left her jaws before she thought.

"But you didn't save the clan! YOU MADE IT SUFFER! How could you? How could you do this to me?"

__________________

The next day Roundpaw stayed away from Skyheart, scared of being yowled at again. Skyheart didn't care. Why didn't he tell her, of all cats?

Clearlight still never moved from his den. He only ate every couple of days. Skyheart was worried about him but couldn't bother to help because she too was too depressed to do anything except pad around camp feeling sorry for herself.

It was the evening. The sun was going down behind the forest. She slowly walked into the den, staring at the brambles and small twigs keeping it together. Skyheart circled in her nest and lay down to sleep.

She had only slept for a few minutes when there was a loud crash and a wail rose up. Skyheart and some other warriors who had woken up went to see what the sound was.

It had come from the leaders den. Clearlight followed Skyheart closely. "Clearlight, you walking!" whispered Fallowstream with a look of encouragement.

Coloureyes acknowledged Clearlight with a nod and then peeked through the entrance to Wildstar's den. Skyheart looked too and saw the shape of Wildstar on the ground writhing around in pain. Coloureyes suddenly gasped. "His paw is stuck under a fallen tree!" Skyheart looked again and saw that Wildstar's paw was stuck under a tree that had fallen into the den! She hadn't seen the tree because of the darkness of camp.

All the warriors and apprentices rushed over to the tree and tried to move it but the tree was too big and heavy. Skyheart heard Treefern walk in. The medicine cat had a grim look on his face. "It is a sign from Starclan. There was no storm to make the tree fall, it makes sense. I will be a darkness that sweeps the clan off their paws!" he yowled. "The tree indicates me and Wildstar's paw is the clan!" Skyheart along with the other clan cats yowled in despair.

"There is no medicine cat apprentice! What will happen now?" meowed one.

"No! Treefern no!" Mewed another.

Skyheart knew what to do. She leaped up from where she was sitting and knocked Treefern to the ground. "You traitor!!" she snarled. Treefern never got to answer. Skyheart lunged at his neck and killed him as quickly as a badger trampling an ant.

________________

"You are banished from Lightclan territory for one full moon!" yowled Jumpingleaf from the Hightree. Wildstar had lost his last life and Skyheart's old mentor was now Lightclan's leader.

He lifted his head high and nodded to Coloureyes and Sparklingfish. Both cats crept up to Skyheart and growled at her.

"B-but I had to! He-he was a traitor!" Whimpered Skyheart pleadingly. "Treefern had to be killed!" She wailed. Then she thought silently to herself, He must have killed Waterpaw Bitterness rose in her chest and she screeched loudly as Coloureyes and Sparklingfish swiped at her. Coloureyes' eyes flashed a sorrowful glance at her for a second but quickly changed to a look of anger.

"Leave!" one cat said.

"We'll judge you in one moon!" another growled.

Skyheart had no choice. The clan she had once loved was kicking her out. Even her mentor agreed! Even if it was for a moon, Skyheart couldn't bare it. As Skyheart turned tail and started to run out, Clearlight ran up to Skyheart. "I will come with you!"

"No, she must do this alone!" roared Jumpingleaf. Yowls of agreement erupted from the clan.

Skyheart pushed her muzzle onto Clearlight's face. "It's okay, we'll see each other again soon." She wispered into his ear. Then she fled camp.

_________________________________