Chapter 23

This chapter is edited

___________

Skyheart's POV:

It had been five long moons since the day Waterfly, Clearlight and Skyeart had first practiced their powers. Only a quarter moon ago, Wildstar had allowed the 3 cats to train in Starclan territory for they had nearly been caught many times in Lightclan territory. They refused to let their clan mates know of their powers, not until they had gained control over them.

Jumpingstar had lost three lives during the five moons. One during a hunting trip and the other two over border skirmishes. Robinlake and Sparklingfish had died from greencough, leaving a gaping hole in the clan. Leaf-bare had been harsh. The clan was still hungry and prey was scarce even as the days started to get warmer.

Fortunately, Slowsky had given birth to three kits. Fernkit, Bumblekit and Mousekit. They were strong and healthy; a blessing from Starclan.

Skyheart's stomach growled hungrily from where she sat by the Warriors Den. Maybe there was still something on the fresh-kill pile? Lightclan's deputy trudged to the pitiful prey pile and she picked out a scrawny mouse, chewing it. It was tough and bitter, but it filled her empty stomach and she was grateful.

__________________________

Clearlight's POV:

Clearlight yawned loudly and slowly padded outside the warriors den. He saw Skyheart chewing a scrawny mouse and narrowed his eyes at the sight of his ex-mate.

They had agreed to no longer be mates. They just upset each other. But Clearlight didn't care, he had someone else to think about; Snowpetal from Monsterclan. Even though the she cat was from a different clan, Clearlight couldn't stop thinking about her beautiful white pelt and deep purple eyes. She was the most pretty cat he had ever seen. It was a surprise she didn't have a swarm of toms around her.

He padded into the warriors den filled of sleeping warriors. He nudged Stormwhisker and Roundclaw awake. His kits yawned and looked up at him. "What?" Stormwhisker asked, rubbing his face with his paws.

"Let's go hunting" Clearlight whispered to them, whiskers twitching.

They nodded and padded out of the warriors den with their father, heading out into the forest.

___________________________

Waterfly's POV:

"Marigold, burdock root, golden rod, catmint and yarrow." Waterfly listed all the herbs she needed to collect that day. Her herb store was nearly empty and she was uneasy about it.

Waterfly heard some shuffling outside. "Yes, who is it?" She called, not looking up.

It was Fernkit. "May I help you, Waterfly?" The little kit asked nervously.

Waterfly looked up and noticed the kit was trembling heavily. "You're cold!" She exclaimed, bringing Fernkit into her pelt. "You can help me if you want. I want you to search around camp for as many cobwebs you can carry." She smiled warmly "But don't leave camp okay?"

The small kit nodded and rushed outside. "I will!" He called over his shoulder.

Waterfly stared after him. Maybe it's time I took an apprentice.

______________________________

Skyheart's POV:

As the sun started to reach its highest point Skyheart lead her patrol outside of camp towards the border. Bluestorm, Darkfur and Fluffypaw followed her towards the Monsterclan border. "I want to mark the borders quickly. I don't want any skirmishes or trouble today." She meowed to her clan-mates. "We have to keep strong whilst the Leaf-Bare winds hold their grip"

A Monsterclan patrol suddenly appeared from the undergrowth. "Wait for them to pass." Skyheart whispered as she crouched behind a bush and waited for the patrol to finish marking their border.

Fluffypaw growled and narrowed his eyes. Skyheart laid her tail on her apprentice's shoulder but Fluffypaw shook it off and stalked right up to the enemy patrol "Fluffypaw! Get back here!" Skyheart hissed as she desperately tried to catch her apprentice's attention but Fluffypaw kept going and crossed the border into Monsterclan territory.

Skyheart, Darkfur and Bluestorm ran up to Fluffypaw, keeping to their side of the border and yowled for him to stop. The apprentice kept going. The Monsterclan patrol just stared in delight, their hungry eyes glued to the Lightclan apprentice.

"Please don't!" Skyheart begged as a dark tabby tom neared her apprentice.

The tom swung his head around and fixed his piercing gaze with Skyheart's. "Lightclan's new deputy." He mocked her. "What a piece of scrap!" His fellow friends laughed with him and Skyheart felt anger bubble inside her. How dare they! I could have them crushed by a tree.. If only I knew how to... Her Earth power training was progressing painfully slowly.

Bluestorm hissed as Darkfur stepped toward the patrol. "Don't you dare, Darkfur. You'll get hurt."

The Monsterclan tom towered over Skyheart and her patrol. "Back off." He hissed. "Or I'll kill the apprentice." He flicked his thin tail at Fluffypaw, who was hissing and spitting at the enemy patrol.

"Fluffypaw!" Darkfur growled. "Get over here now!"

Skyheart sprang at the tom and knocked him sideways, giving Darkfur and Bluestorm access Fluffypaw. The two she cats were quick to grab the apprentice and literally drag him back over the border.

The tom flung Skyheart away and pinned her down easily. "Maybe we should kill you instead?" He licked his lips, grinning crazily. She struggled but it was no use. The tom raked his claws down her belly, she screeched in pain as blood poured from the fresh wound.

But just as his claws met her neck, he was tossed sideways by a waved of thorns.

_________________________________